Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
So. I was at a tournament for a card game I play. No one showed up (kinda sad really).

So while I was in and around the mall. I got a call from my parents saying that ANOTHER store had them on for 4 for $1. I just about squealed. Theres a HUGE Super Store (no not Wal-Mart), that had pumpkins out. They were $4 a piece. So I saw 3 decent sized ones and went about my way.

I came to a realization while I was going to the other store. These may not be good 'kins. However, most of them were 10" or taller! SO I picked up 8 of those and went hoome. I'll post pics tomorrow.

(Ryan please move if you see fit).
CanadianCarver wrote:Hey SuperSonic, what store had the sale? I live about 1.5 hours from you, so was wondering if it was a chain store and if the sale was still on
No Frills had the sale. Quite a god deal, but not all the pumpkins were great. I only manged 8 out of a whole skid! :shock: The ones I got were great though. :)
Pumpkin prices vary around the U.S. so much. Back home I could get them for a few cents each pound, here they don't sell them by weight, just usually a fixed price or fixed price depending on if they are "small", "large" or "medium" 'kins. Half the time I think a lot of the "large" should be "mediums".

I usually never find any good sized ones at Walmart but I hit the jackpot today. I brought home 8 at $3.50 a piece, where as I usually spend around $8 or $9 a piece. This is one major factor in how many carvings I do each year. I try to do at least 10, but would love to do more if they were not so expensive. I've never had so many people ask me if I was making pumpkin pie.. while I've never made one from scratch I can't imagine it takes 8 large pumpkins to make one pie. Some didn't even ask, they just told me "Ahh.. pumpkin pie". Like there was no other use for them.

RavensDestiny wrote:Pumpkin prices vary around the U.S. so much. Back home I could get them for a few cents each pound, here they don't sell them by weight, just usually a fixed price or fixed price depending on if they are "small", "large" or "medium" 'kins. Half the time I think a lot of the "large" should be "mediums".

I usually never find any good sized ones at Walmart but I hit the jackpot today. I brought home 8 at $3.50 a piece, where as I usually spend around $8 or $9 a piece. This is one major factor in how many carvings I do each year. I try to do at least 10, but would love to do more if they were not so expensive. I've never had so many people ask me if I was making pumpkin pie.. while I've never made one from scratch I can't imagine it takes 8 large pumpkins to make one pie. Some didn't even ask, they just told me "Ahh.. pumpkin pie". Like there was no other use for them.

SO JEALOUS.
RavensDestiny wrote:Pumpkin prices vary around the U.S. so much. Back home I could get them for a few cents each pound, here they don't sell them by weight, just usually a fixed price or fixed price depending on if they are "small", "large" or "medium" 'kins. Half the time I think a lot of the "large" should be "mediums".

The 3 pumpkins I got at my local orchard that I already carved were $2 a piece. I'm going to get a whole lot more later tonight.
That's another thing I hate around here. There aren't really any places you can go to pick your own! I use to love doing that. We have a huge farm here that grows them, has a corn maze, gives hay rides and all that great stuff, but you can only pick ONE pumpkin. It's included in the admission for everything else. You can't just go to get pumpkins and pay for those.

I do feel lucky though. Last night on the news they had a story about North Carolina and all their ruined pumpkins from too much rain. They were small and already rotting on the vine. My state touches NC so I could have been searching high and low this year for good pumpkins. Instead for the first time since moving here I have found a nice crop without driving from place to place.