Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
By mesmark
My step-sister works in a high school in the States. She just posted an online fund raiser asking for people to donate to help her students go to Italy. I asked why they were going and she said to broaden their horizons, encourage them to dream, and to show them the world is bigger than just their city.

I was pretty shocked. That seems like an awesome high school field trip :shock: When I was in high school, I went down to the local marina (Mystic) one year ...

Is this normal now? Vacations abroad for high school field trips?
By sodajazz
Get with the times Mes :lol: Our school kids are proper jet setters. I went to France with my school when i was 10 .. think risk assessments now allow school parties to fly now instaed of going by coach.

How else are the school teachers going to get a free holiday :roll: Well thats my excuse on the over priced trips from my daughters school.
By Dadja
sodajazz wrote:How else are the school teachers going to get a free holiday :roll:
Trust me, supervising these trips aren't a holiday, you need one afterwards. And I don't know about England, but here we do try to keep the cost as low as possible for these trips.
By blueikaos
I never had the opportunity to go abroad while I was in HS.

Some of the language clubs raised money to go, but I wasn't involved. It was an extracurricular event, nothing to do with the school agenda itself.

Good for them.
By matspud
Dadja, it is easy yo travel to all those countries from Belgium. Matthew has been on a trip to Paris ( year group trip during school term) and once to the Eurospace centre in Belgium ( limied group during the summer holiday). Both times they travelled by coach . I suppose distance -wise it would be like having trips between states in the US. I don't think they arrange classs trips to the US or Canada which would be similar to US schools coming here. I imagine the costs for such a journey ( met solely by the parents here) would be prohibitive.
By Dadja
matspud wrote:Dadja, it is easy yo travel to all those countries from Belgium. Matthew has been on a trip to Paris ( year group trip during school term) and once to the Eurospace centre in Belgium ( limied group during the summer holiday). Both times they travelled by coach . I suppose distance -wise it would be like having trips between states in the US. I don't think they arrange class trips to the US or Canada which would be similar to US schools coming here. I imagine the costs for such a journey ( met solely by the parents here) would be prohibitive.
Of course, I realize that. That why I said "yes, for Belgium, it's normal". I do find a US - Italy trip a seriously long way to travel, but if it is done low cost for the students (a lot less than what they would normally pay) it will be an eye-opening trip most of them wouldn't have had the chance to make otherwise.
By pagemaster1993
Not at my high school. If you become a foriegn exchange student you get to go, but not as a whole class.
By monstermash
There was a chance for us to go to the US, France, Germany, Spain if you wanted to. We had to pay our own way though and you also had to have taken certain subjects. I can't believe they don't have to pay.
By mesmark
monstermash wrote:I can't believe they don't have to pay.
I felt the same way. If they were paying for it, then great for them. I just feel that while it will be a great experience for them, it won't be a victory in that they worked hard toward something and earned it. Instead it may fuel feelings of entitlement, that other people should give them things, because they deserve it.

But, I've gone negative. :D The positive side is that if they do get to go, they will have an eye opening experience and it should be good for them.
By suzika
The first high school I went to had a Senior Cruise every year, but, every single dime of the money was raised by the seniors, and they started raising it in 8th grade!

Unfortunately, I was booted from there, so didn't get to cruise.