Talking about spooky store scores and online oddity offerings.
By nosferatu
Yeah, three hours trawling through junk to find two small things worth having. There was an anatomical skeleton for sale but the guy wanted £300 for it. It was incredibly old though and had a stand as well as a monogrammed wooden chest.
By monstermash
Just thought i'd show a couple of my finds. I got the typewriter from an auction and the lamp from a charity shop.

Although the typewriter from The Shining is nothing like this one I thought it would be neat to have it lying around with a page of Jack Torrance's novel in it. And I only put a tea light in the lantern, i'm too scared to use parafin.

A close up of the page. It tried to copy one of the crazier pages from the film. I did it on the computer though, the typewriter has no ink ribbons.

I'm leaving the lamp tarnished for halloween but i'll polish it up if I decide to use it at Christmas.
By nosferatu
Typewriter is fantastic and I love the lamp too. Perfect props
By Raven
That typewriter is totally awesome! It's really creepy looking on it's own.. the page really looks like it was typed on it, not on a computer. Great job on doing that!
By monstermash
I really liked the positioning of the typebars (long bits with a letter on the end that hits the paper) on this one. It's quite diferent to most typewiters as this one has the typebars on either side instead of along the bottom. I believe it's from around 1916-1922. Ive got a bit of a thing for fonts too and I love the art nouveau writing on it. Everything still seems to be in working order, I just don't have the ink ribbons for it.

The lamp reminded me a bit of the one that Nicole Kidamn had the dvd cover of The Others. £20 for the typewriter and a tenner for the lamp.
By staticfurball
I love those green men Nos. I've never heard of car boot sales before. Around here we just have garage sales. Good money makers for us around here.
By SuperSonic
Fantastic typewriter find! The props used are perfect.

Why are you scared to use parafin?
By monstermash
SuperSonic wrote:Fantastic typewriter find! The props used are perfect.

Why are you scared to use parafin?
I recently watched a programme about people getting high quality prosthetics after injuries and illness. There was a boy on it that had the majority of his face burnt terribly while usuing parafin for lamps and little steam engine things. It's just put me off using it for a while, i'm a big chicken. It would look great with the big old wick burning inside. Maybe i'll pluck up the courage, or get someone else to do it. :)
By monstermash
Just typed "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" over and over again in different positions. I went over a few of the words in bold to make it look like the keys had been struck harder in places. I used a typewriter font and printed it out on a bit of tea stained paper. Easy peasy. I couln't get the typewriter to hold the paper properly so it's just folded in palce.
I went blank after that and woke up in a store cupboard. Then I had a wonder around a big maze.