Talking about spooky store scores and online oddity offerings.
First off, Yankee Candle has 5 new fall fragrances. Most of which don't have anything to do with Halloween ("Kitchen Spice," "Nature's Paintbrush", "Over the River," and "Vanilla Satan"). The exception is "Pumpkin Buttercream," which is pretty nice. Smells like a frosted pumpkin cake.

For Halloween specific candles, the scents are familiar ones they've offered before. "Candy Corn," "Pumpkin Patch" (which is a combo of "Pumpkin Spice" and "Harvest"), and "Witches' Brew" (a spicy patchouli).

They have a lot of decorative items too. If you like your autumn decor to be non-scary and of the religiously-safe "harvest" theme, they have the Scarecrow and Harvest Babies collection. But I say, save these for grandma, I want the skeletons!

Speaking of skeletons, Yankee Candle is back with more of their Boney Bunch collection. Dapper skeleton men (and a few women) sometimes in Grim Reaper attire. There are a ton of them, which you can browse on their site.

But my favorite is probably this guy, carving a pumpkin neatly with his chainsaw.

Even cooler than the cutesy Boney Bunch (in my opinion) is the Skeleton Crew set. More realistic skulls and boney fingers to grip your candles. Maybe you'd like a "See/Hear/Speak no Evil" votive holder or a candle jar topper with a skull whose eyes light up?

What caught my eye was this big skeleton hand, designed to cup the jar sized candles. Monstrous.

And rounding out the Halloween line is the Creepy Crawlies collection. Some pretty classy items here, like black glass bottles with creative designs printed on, as well as some other candle holders and shades, many with spider web designs.

I might go back for some Creepy Crawlies, but for now, this is what I left the store with. Pumpkin Buttercream and Pumpkin Patch candles, and a Skeleton Crew hand. Ah... smells like October in here already. :D

By pagemaster1993
I visited Yankee Candles the last time I was at my local mall, and they were having some weird party thing everyone was dressed up like Skeletons.
By CorpseBride
I love candles. Especially ones that smell like home cooking. I am pretty sure I need to get my mitts on the Pumpkin Buttercream one *drool* Delicious!

And I also love the candle holder! It's perfect!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
CorpseBride -- I think we have a lot of overlapping tastes when it comes to Halloween decor, and apparently scents too. I'm a fan of the candles that smell like home cooking. Every time I light one, it reminds me of the Mitch Hedberg joke:

"I like cinnamon rolls. I wish they made a cinnamon roll incense because I don't always have time to make a pan. Perhaps I'd rather light a stick and then have my roommates wake up with false hopes."
By GUS
You can't beat Yankee candles, we propably bought 30 big jars a few years ago & are wading our way through them, the only fail i've had was actually candycorn, it, puddled as several samplers... not impressed, but on the whole Mmmm

french vanilla / christmas cookie, (well, just cookie) ..mouthwatering we won't get the seasonal candles I expect, or if we do It'll be thew period of the year when I won't go into the garden centre for 6 months as they'll be having all their xmas crud up.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Haha, oops... in my first post, when I was listing the new fall fragrances that are not Halloweeny, I mentioned "Vanilla Satan." But I meant "Vanilla Satin." :lol:

The "Vanilla Satin" candle is advertised as "a smooth blend of rich vanilla, romantic flowers and sensuous sandalwood."

Personally, I'd much prefer a candle called "Vanilla Satan." "A hot mix of molten vanilla, charred brimstone, and tormented souls." :twisted:
By pagemaster1993
I think I may get one of those Skeleton Hand candle holders, do not know. I guess it depends on price.
By CorpseBride
Sign me up for one of those Vanilla Satan candles! Right meow!

:lol:

We do have very similar tastes Ryan! I have noticed that. I look forward to your posts in this section as I know it will most likely lead to a fantastic purchase or idea.

My favorite scent has to be Vanilla Bean....oh my goodness....:)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Still no sign of "Vanilla Satan" but I was at Yankee Candle again, and have a few more things to add.

I really want the glass bottles I mentioned. What I didn't realize is that they are tealight holders. The bottles are open on the bottom, so you can place them over a candle flame. The tops are open, to act as a vent. The glass is very dark, but glows purple when lit from within.

The bottles have clever logos printed on them, such as "Skeleton Crew Brew," "Wicked - Cauldron Brewed," "Sleepy Hollow Winery," "Spider Sting Cider," "Spirits & Spells," "Wicked Remedy - Take a Swill to Treat Any Ill," and "Gravestone Vineyards." I think they are pretty classy.

I also picked up a couple Illuma-Lids. "Designed to reduce the effects of drafts... place a lid on a jar candle and it will help the candle flame burn steadier." Helps stop that black soot that can get all over the rim of the candle jar, and hopefully allows the wax to melt down evenly.

Got this bronze one of autumn leaves for my pumpkin candles:

And also this black spider web lid with a hanging arachnid:

Oh, and this candle, by the way, is another new one. Well.... new to me, but the candle isn't. My mom found this and gifted it to me. The scent is called "Cider Web." A brew of apple cider and spice. Introduced in 2007, "Cider Web" is currently retired unfortunately. Too bad, it's great. If you can dig one up at a store that seems to carry old candles, I recommend it.

By CorpseBride
Great now I want the bottles too...ugh...I need to pick up a second job this time of year :D We don't have Yankee Candles around here but I am headed to Washington tomorrow...and I am most definitely making a stop!
By GUS
Only thing is Ryan the decorative funnels DON'T work at all well, & are pointless for any scented candle (which is a premium cost product)

A funnel is a chimney by another name ok!
Therefore the bottles are a proper chimney ...#FAIL in design.

ok to draw & expel (or in this case guide & expel for the definite purpose of wafting scent around the room, commesurate with the candles sole intention (it aint light provision)

Therefore the "chimney needs to warm in order to initiate better current draw & thus flame of the wick, to keep the burn optimum....

THIS aint happening & you are being sold a novelty which actually is detrimental to the purpose "not fit for purpose" ...a con!

Therefore as with fires you have a cooling process as the heat races up the chimney, cooler at different stages (non insulated) as the gases & oils cool they leave residue, in this case it will be a fine layer od the oil hardened & deposited upon the (generally glass) wall.

This is why we get chimney fires with real fires / stoves, the cooling & tarring process, however in the instance of Yankee Candles it is oil fragrance & soot.

Anyone using the "decorative, novelty" doohickeys (even a few inches tall) is cutting down the flow of scent massively...

defeats the object of an expensive candle yes?

if it were a car you'd have bought the services of a gentleman at the garage to let air out of your tyres & thus increase your fuel consumption proportionately, oh yeah he filled your boot / trunk with aggregate too!
:roll:

If it doesn't work properly question it! ...these flame funnels are a con, & so are the very pretty little bottles, but especially the bottles.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
GUS wrote:Only thing is Ryan the decorative funnels DON'T work at all well, & are pointless for any scented candle (which is a premium cost product) ... you are being sold a novelty which actually is detrimental to the purpose "not fit for purpose" ...a con!
I'm no expert of aerodynamics, but I notice with the Illuma-Lid on my candle, the flame appears more steady, not wavering in a draft. So less black smoke. I can smell the candle, and it think it looks nice.

As for the bottles, I'm pretty certain they're meant to be entirely decorative, rather than a scent distribution tool. Probably best suited for plain tealight candles. Or even those battery powered LED tealights.

There is function and there is form. GUS, I know you have a very pragmatic mind, but sometimes a product's only purpose is to look nice on the shelf at your Halloween party. Speaking as a lifelong artist, if a decorative item can make me smile just by 'looking pretty," then I'd consider it a design success. :)
By GUS
if you use led's that's good to me.

What you perhaps ought to remember that anytime goods are imported & offered for sale an item is then marked up by 50% or more..

Therefore when we buy a Yankee candle singular jar it costs £18.00, & if I cannot smell a premium candle I wan't to know why! :lol: ..thus part of my reasoning.

The thermal aspect of a chimney is "artful" engineering originally observed i've no doubt by creatives long before the word builder was coined.

obviously this combustion efficiency = output of a fire in context. kWh

If you take a sniff of the chimney it'll smell good though :lol: ..but in other terms you are sadly losing out the spread of scent / the "essence" of your reason to purchase! ...

(i'm sat here with a french vanilla yankee)

If your flame is flickering / guttering, trim the wick, if the flame is moving alot, then it's air leak within the room in all likelihood which affects the ability to heat efficiently but obviously assists with decent air exchange.

I am interested in the bottles though, I had been thinking as to whether they were blown like that or had been cut (eg dremel sort of thing, & therefore whether this was possible at low cost)
By olsenr
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Haha, oops... in my first post, when I was listing the new fall fragrances that are not Halloweeny, I mentioned "Vanilla Satan." But I meant "Vanilla Satin." :lol:

The "Vanilla Satin" candle is advertised as "a smooth blend of rich vanilla, romantic flowers and sensuous sandalwood."

Personally, I'd much prefer a candle called "Vanilla Satan." "A hot mix of molten vanilla, charred brimstone, and tormented souls." :twisted:
I would love the "Vanilla Satin" candle. I absolutely love the scent of vanilla. Besides this "a smooth blend of rich vanilla, romantic flowers and sensuous sandalwood." sounds fantastic. I love the scent of flowers and I think I need some beautiful fresh flowers in my flat. I will check a cheap flower delivery and order some flowers to have the scent of fresh flowers until I buy the candle.
By JimmOfTheDead
Looks like Halloween items are 50% off at Yankee Candle now.

Last year, I got a couple Boney Bunch items. One was a groom proposing to a bride, and the other was a bride and groom with a wedding cake that said "Congratulations Newly-deads" or something similar. There's one more bride and groom set this year, and if I can find it on sale I'll probably pick it up.