Request a pumpkin pattern or critique the current collection.
By Hermione
Greetings all!

I'm new but really excited to find this place!

My search began with my plan to have a very Harry Potter themed Halloween. I have searched and searched the net and have had the hardest time finding a stencil pattern of the Dark Mark.

This also being my first time trying to do anything beyond triangel eyes and square teeth :wink: I'm looking for some assistance.

Of course, in typical Hermione fashion, I've been researching techniques and tools excessively and really just need help getting the pattern. I have such a fun layout in mind!

Thanks in advance...
Hermione wrote: This also being my first time trying to do anything beyond triangel eyes and square teeth :wink: I'm looking for some assistance.
Well you have come to the right place. The tips on the main site are pretty much the core of what the most of us do. A few hours of scanning through the tips strings will provide some short cuts. Other than that you just have to find what works for you. Good luck have Fun most of all.
By vibhandaka
Morsmordre! This would be a fun stencil.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Welcome, Hermione. I've seen different renderings of the Dark Mark. If anyone wants to post an officially accepted image of it here, maybe I can help.
By GUS
Welcome Hermione! ..dig around in the shocking shop for a set of warren pro carving tools (Ryan's too polite to push them upon you)
However, they really make such a difference in your carving endeavours, ..honest!

I tried using a thin bladed supermarket blade once, & ....don't ...really ...want (sob) ..to talk about it!

Fire up a pic, & join the bandwagon of potter fans demanding more stencils (join forces with Nosferatu for a snipe about the absence of a snape) etc etc...
Good call on the Dark Mark though ..haven't seen that one mentioned!
By Mistress_of_Halloween
This is Barty Crouch JR's Dark Mark as Shown in the Movie

This is a version that appeared in the books

I like the movie one the best but either would be hard to stencil.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
The movie version would be easier to turn into a pattern... the only problem I see is that it's so tall. You'd need a really skinny pumpkin, or much of the side space would be wasted. Would Potter fans be open to a little artistic license on my part, you think?
By vibhandaka
I think we would Ryan.

Here's a version that might work better on a pumpkin.

Last edited by vibhandaka on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By SuperSonic
Yeah sure they would :)
By Mistress_of_Halloween
As long as you stick to the idea that the snake comes out of the skulls mouth I think we'll be happy.
By SaneInsideInsanity
i would not mind your artistic take on it one bit ryan. In fact i welcome it
By punchi
I think this is a great idea!
By Hermione
Well thanks everyone! And yeah, anyone's artistic from here would be totally fine by me. I agree that with there being differences between the movies and books, having the basic components is what Potter fans would be looking for. It's what I'm looking for, at least. :wink: