Request a pumpkin pattern or critique the current collection.
By GUS
More people know the name of the man than the man himself, which doesn't make him much of a candidate except for the most ardent apple fans I guess.
By IzzieFri
Gus, I would have to disagree.

Just knowing the name says it all: you may not realize it now but Jobs changed the computer industry as well as the music and phone industry (even animated movies). Everything we do today and how we do it in those areas is because of his revolutionary and visionary ideas.

He is an icon of his time: mp-3 players, tablets, the way we buy our software, smartphones, android, ... he made that possible.
Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Michael Jackson, ... he's on that list - you don't need to be an Apple fan to realize that.

And I'm sure by now everyone knows the face! :wink:

Besides I think most people know who Edgar Allen Poe is, but how many people know what he looks like? (And I see a pattern of him in the Gallery) :P

One more thing! (:wink: to the Apple fans) :lol: :
That's why I asked for a Steve Jobs pattern, not for the hype that is now, but to honor a man who brought us magic!
By GUS
No I don't know his face to pick him out of a line up, & I can't see "them" (government of any nation) building him into the day to day teaching curriculum any day soon.

Marketing has played an enormous part of the apple identity, as with any big company that wan't to put itself out there.

A wave of emotion placed upon a man so recently deceased & of whom only a few even properly knew is somewhat questionable, he was part of a large team, apple was not just steve jobs standing on his own, nor was he shiva, apple is a massive machine of many parts & people, all of whom played a role to get it to where it is today.
when you say "icon of his time" ...he is dead, his time has past, there is however a framework & a legacy within the corporation.

Magic might be if apple corp maybe wasn't such a corporate bully, recognised the folk who build it's stuff beyond mere drones & improved their lot , the fact there is so much wire netting up to stop folk killing themselves, well I haven't seen so much security wire to keep folk in one place since viewing Nazi death camps, or Guantanamo

what would folks attitude be IF that was going on on American soil? ..would folk be so keen on Apple product?
..maybe that's what steve jobs ought to be remembered for as it happened on his watch & beyond, please think about it!

If we are going to have a big shout of stencils to honour folk who've instigated change in the world of computing how about recognising the fathers of it, the pioneers such as..

Konrad Zuse,
1939, IBM management & Howard H. Aiken
von Neumann
Frederic C. Williams (Manchester university), "the Manchester Mark I"
Maurice Wilkes (Cambridge) for EDSAC.

All these folk were instrumental in the development of computing as far back as 70 years ago, therefore in all likelihood throwing ideas around on paper & chalkboard much earlier than that.

My point being he's part of a chain in a series of event & product enabled by those who were there at the beginning of any item that flows & proves useful over time, modernised deemed worthy of investment for research & development.

on another note I think a bill gates stencil may get mistaken for the kid from "mad" magazine

In the UK we used to have a great reminder of modern change on a £20.00?? note as I recall, & it was something we were taught to understand the point that many hands make light work from beginning to end of a process / product. it was the division of labour by process, ..it being pivotal to current shape & form in many ways.

:wink:

Oh & he didn't invent the MP3 player either.
Last edited by GUS on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
IzzieFri -- That's a nice suggestion. I can't speak for the global audience as to the recognizably of Steve's face, but personally I know exactly what he looks like and could spot him if I saw his face on a pumpkin.

Of course, I'm big on computers and gadgets, and have watched plenty of the keynote presentations. And the products that Job helped pioneer have changed the way I go about my daily life.

I'm weary of making patterns of the recently deceased, for fear that it might seem that I'm just trying to cash in, rather than paying tribute. While I know a ton of Apple fans would love such a pattern, I don't know if the general audience that comes here looking for Halloween themes would find it as useful.

Oh, and one more thing.... ;)

I'm listening to Halloween music right now on my iPod. 8)
By nosferatu
For me he is a flawed genius. I don't use the word lightly. Either of them.

Jonathan Ive is undoubtedly the creative genius but would those products have been made under a different company? I doubt it. The more I read about Jobs, the more I like these foibles. He is who he was. He made no excuses or apologies for that. That earns my respect.

Anyway, they should all bow down to the unequivocal Dieter Rams.
By Ajax
I just don't think he is halloween enough. I could recognize him but he does not encompass the spirit of Halloween. It's like doing a shigeru miyamoto or bill gates pattern as gus said.
By IzzieFri
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:IzzieFri -- That's a nice suggestion. I can't speak for the global audience as to the recognizably of Steve's face, but personally I know exactly what he looks like and could spot him if I saw his face on a pumpkin.

Of course, I'm big on computers and gadgets, and have watched plenty of the keynote presentations. And the products that Job helped pioneer have changed the way I go about my daily life.

I'm weary of making patterns of the recently deceased, for fear that it might seem that I'm just trying to cash in, rather than paying tribute. While I know a ton of Apple fans would love such a pattern, I don't know if the general audience that comes here looking for Halloween themes would find it as useful.

Oh, and one more thing.... ;)

I'm listening to Halloween music right now on my iPod. 8)
I love ! anything you come up with so all I have to say is ... let the carving times begin. Whoo hoo :!:
By nosferatu
By Zombie Pumpkins!
:lol: Funny stuff, Nosferatu. That may be true out there in the world, but in the Zombie Pumpkin patch, we know that this is only 2/3 true. Too bad you can't buy much with a Johnny ¢a$h pumpkin pattern though. :?
By RandomGuy
for what it's worth, I plan on carving something like this, this year:

By Zombie Pumpkins!
That's a classy image, RandomGuy. And conveniently, it always works perfectly as a pumpkin stencil.