Request a pumpkin pattern or critique the current collection.
By paddy_babe
The guy did create the jack o' lantern!
It would probs be a unique creation but I think stingy jack would be good....

it would also be a good way to get the story out there, I'm from Ireland myself and cant remember hearing the story! (I knew we did turnips, so frustrating when your a kid, they are so small!)
By SaneInsideInsanity
it's in the hisotry section, i enjoy the pattern request though great ideaImage
By SuperSonic
again as usuall i agree with all of these requests :)... mainly cause they ALL would look awesome but this is a most intriguing one... a bat in place of this old rat wow ive got NBC on the brain
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I love the legend of Stingy Jack. I don't know how many people know the story, but making a pattern of him might lead people to want to learn more.

SuperSonic - It's been dead for much to long. Try something fresher, something pleasant. :wink:
By SuperSonic
why should they have all the fun, it should belong to anyone :twisted:
By paddy_babe
thanks for the pic sane, I didnt know where to look lol

and I agree Ryan, I hear so many neighbours saying halloween is so commercial (sp) if they knew the story behind it, I think they'd get into the spirit a bit more.

I'm Irish Ryan and didnt know it came from Ireland! but once I read it on your history page it all 'clicked' :lol: (I thought we did turnips because pumpkins were hard to get LMAO!)

Stingy Jack would also be a good carving for a party or a carving party centerpiece with the story behind it...
By SaneInsideInsanity
google is my god what can i say i like serching things i would also like to explain this kin to kids when they ask what it is educate them a little
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm glad you showed up on the forum this year, paddy_babe. You give some historical credibility to our Halloween traditions, with your Irish roots and all. I'm 1/4 Irish actually, but I've never carved a turnip.

I have carved a face into a lemon and a carrot, however.
By SaneInsideInsanity
she does doesnt she :D im not irish but i have irish in me quite often :P she does add a little something though
By paddy_babe
zombiepumpkins wrote:I have carved a face into a lemon and a carrot, however.
please tell me you took pics! however did you manage that ryan!
My turnips were very crude (kitchen knife, 8 years old and turnips are VERY hard to carve lol)

SaneInsideInsanity wrote:im not irish but i have irish in me quite often :P she does add a little something though
:o :lol: lmao sane...its the accent! (I had a school teacher from N.Ireland.... he was the only reason I took that class!)
and thanks guys :D I'm glad to be a part of it :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
paddy_babe wrote:please tell me you took pics! however did you manage that ryan!
Of course.

Just did these to keep some kids entertained, at a time of year that pumpkins are not in season. The lemon was hollowed out, and lit with the candle.

That's a baby carrot and a grape, both carved with faces. :lol: How did I manage? With the small detail saw of the Pro Pumpkin Carving Tool, of course! :wink:
By paddy_babe
zombiepumpkins wrote:How did I manage? With the small detail saw of the Pro Pumpkin Carving Tool, of course! :wink:
stop with the advertising!! :lol: I'm already getting the tool later today, just wanna shop around and see if theres seral paper in the local art shop (no point doing 2 orders if they dont have it) :P

can I say I'm VERY impressed though (and slighty worried about how much time you had on your hands lol) I bet the lemon smelt lovely with the candle burning in it... fun and eco-friendly air freshener :D

Would be cool to do potatoes and then cook them, I wonder if the shape would keep....
By SuperSonic
i love the look on the carrot it looks like a zombified veggie
By paddy_babe
ryan you could do stingy jack holding a lemon-looking turnip, then it would be personal lol
By SaneInsideInsanity
paddy_babe wrote:
Would be cool to do potatoes and then cook them, I wonder if the shape would keep....
no they don't Ive tried....except roses but you have to be bang on the timing for them....i think ive carved every vegetable imaginable working in kitchens on slow nights there was nothing else to do my fav creation was a hula dancing pepper.....also another lesson from kitchen boredom do not deepfry a whole egg..... and now i dont have pics....sorry :P