Tips for candles, LED lights, electric, batteries, bulbs and beyond.
By Ajax
Just a thought, since such a big part of the site is photography maybe we could have a photography section for special tips on lighting, display, camera types, exposure etc. Anyways I just bought a Canon Elph 300, because I dropped my old camera at halloween on concrete floor and it doesn't work quite right anymore. What kinds of cameras does everyone use.

By nosferatu
A 5 year old Casio that is due for replacement.

Special effects tips such as the swirly LED's would be great. I tried it but my camera isn't up to it.
By Raven
Last year I used a Canon Power Shot A620.

This year I used a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5. I like it because it's waterproof and drop proof.

I also have a Nikon D200 that I haven't used to take any pumpkin pics with but I really should.

I should also use the tripod we have. Any try harder with lighting and such. There is always next year! :)
By Ajax
The camera I broke was a Canon Power shot a620. It has always taken pretty good pictures for me, but it was to big to carry around.
By Chewy
this is an interesting idea, being a photography buff, i like the idea. I get the technical side, but am quite unimaginitive (& jealous) when it comes to props - could sure use some help there.

As for cameras for me...

This year i used a Nikon D7000 with a 50mm f1.4 lens.The previous few years, i've used a Nikon D80 with an 18-200m; still have (& love) this camera, but a few generations behind the D7000 (and, ive put nearly 200k actuations on it, I expect the shutter to go sideways anytime) it's largely relegated to backup duty now; thinking about converting it to IR... the D7000 is much more capable, much higher resolution, can shoot in very low light (I took flashless pictures with it inside the haunted mansion at disneyland...) & is fast (important for sports) at 6 frames a second.

Have a few other Nikon lenses too, most gathering dust. Am saving for a 70-200mm pro level lens now, one day i'll get there. Sigh.

Tripod - have two - a relatively decent aluminum one Ive used in previous years (remember to turn VR / OS off if you have it & are using a tripod) and a manfrotto carbon fiber monopod (which i usually use with my big lenses for shooting sports)

Also have a waterproof Canon D10. I;ll also claim ownership to a Pentax W10 waterproof, which didnt float (wasnt expecting it to, i was however, expecting the $2 carabiner to hold it - wont make that mistake again) and is on the bottom of Harrison lake somewhere... $350 ouch.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Ajax wrote:Just a thought, since such a big part of the site is photography maybe we could have a photography section for special tips on lighting, display, camera types, exposure etc.
Hey, great idea. Consider it done. Thanks for the suggestion Ajax! There were so many stellar photos this year, maybe this new section will help others do the same, or even better.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I've had a few point-and-shoot digital cameras in my day. Usually Canons. I've always been pleased with the image quality, plus I'm familiar with their controls and menus. When I'm making the choice for a new camera, it helps narrow it down if I just go with another Canon. :lol:

The newest camera I have is a Canon PowerShot SX210IS. I was pretty much sold when I saw that this tiny camera had both 14 megapixel image quality, and a 14x optical zoom.

The lens extends a few inches, and in my very first night ever using it, I was able to capture photos like this from within a rocking concert crowd, which I think it a good testament to the camera's quality and level of zoom:

My big daddy camera though, is a Canon Rebel XSi. It's my go-to when I want to take some high quality photos of carved pumpkins. Or anything, really.

I still only have the basic kit lens that came with it. Would like to upgrade eventually, when a specific need arises I suppose. I have plenty of accessories though. Tripod, filters, external flash, etc. All the pumpkin photos you've seen me post came from this camera.

For video, I also have this Flip Mino HD camera. Picked it up a couple years ago to document a summer road trip I took. I wanted an HD camcorder I could easily carry in my pocket.

I don't use Flip cam much these days. The company stopped making these cameras, I believe. Plus, now my Canon PowerShot (and even my cell phone) can do comparable or better HD video. But I had some good times with the Flip camcorder. This is the camera that got to meet Robert Englund, in fact.
By monstermash
I just use a Canon Ixus something or other. It a good four years old. Its not very good for decent artsy shots but fine for a point and shoot. I got a mate with a much much better camera to take my pics this year. Maybe I will fork out for a good camera one of these days. Great idea for a thread. I hope to get loads of lighting tips from you creative folk. :)
By nosferatu
I've been inspired by the likes of MM, mesmark, ajax, raven's photos this year. Whilst I haven't come across any specific lighting effects yet and seeing as I don't have Photoshop, I use www.lunapic.com. You can do some pretty good basic animations and effects with your pics for free

By Chewy
Not a bad shot of Alice there Ryan. One advantage of the point and shoot variety (and the new breed of ILC's for that matter) is that they dont attract the same attention that a large, vertical grip equipped SLR with a cannon sized zoom lens does!
By Ajax
That is a fantastic effect Nos works perfect with the way you have your pumpkins set looks like there reflection is really reflected in water. Great Alice Cooper picture Ryan makes me wish I would have spent more money for some extra zoom but i'll work with my 5 x for now.