Tips for candles, LED lights, electric, batteries, bulbs and beyond.
Has anyone considered using these basic LEDs, with a coin battery, to make your own lighting solution for inside your pumpkins?

I'm not sure how bright these are in person, but considering you can make as many as you want, they could provide for some cool lighting solutions.

They even come in flickering varieties, to simulate a candle. And because they are so small, they can be pinned into the roof of your pumpkin, or anywhere else where they won't show when viewing the carving from the front.

These photos, and the concept are from the site Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories so check out the tutorial and video, and see if you think it's worth picking up some of these basic LEDs.
By nosferatu
Whilst I have plenty, way too many, pumpkin lights, these are the perfect solution to a problem that I was having on a smaller scale as I am assuming that they don't generate much heat.

Thanks for posting
By Zombie Pumpkins!
To me, the convenience factor is a good perk here. Small LEDs that can be tucked away, out of sight. And in any size pumpkin. Even tiny ones that wouldn't accommodate a larger plastic LED light housing. More portability than having to run strings of lights to outlets (no convenient outlets where I display). I think I'm going to experiment with these this year.

I just realized - the type of batteries they recommend for these little LEDs (CR2032) are the same type used in a remote control I have... and a few months ago I bought a 4 pack of the batteries. 3 of them are just sitting there now, so I might as well use them for a pumpkin lighting experiment.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By GUS
The other aspect of course is that you'd need to make a housing for real "wet" pumpkins ...
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Good point... wet pumpkins could effect this sort of light. Possible solutions: wrap more tape around the parts that shouldn't get wet. Place the light in a small plastic bag. Or suspend the light from the top or sides of the pumpkin, so it's not touching anything.

The article mentions how using a resistor creates a 3rd wire to embed in the pumpkin. But I was also thinking you could use a small paper clip (bent into a "U" shape) to stick into the ceiling of the pumpkin, basically making a hook from which to hang the LED.
By GUS
nosferatu wrote:Whilst I have plenty, way too many, pumpkin lights, these are the perfect solution to a problem that I was having on a smaller scale as I am assuming that they don't generate much heat.

Thanks for posting
leds of this type & size do not get warm, it's only larger highewr output leds, & even then only require heat sink fins to dissipate & ensure better lifespan & output.
By monstermash
Would I be right in thinking that these are the same lights as the ones you'd find in the flickering candles from cheap shops?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
monstermash wrote:Would I be right in thinking that these are the same lights as the ones you'd find in the flickering candles from cheap shops?
I don't know the exact specs, but it's my understand that these LEDs are brighter than the little battery powered tealights. That's my hope, I'll let you know how my experiments go.
By GUS
As i've tried getting across before you want to get "bin" LED's for matching intensity & output.

Here's a nice simple explanation of what I mean ...

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articl ... -700ma.htm

This is also a basic read to understand an item that will be as common as the filament light within a few years & will help you not get caught out by low end crud.

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/techzone/l ... abels.html
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for the links Gus. But at this time in the Halloween season, who has time to read and learn science. Let's get our hands dirty by doing! :lol:
By nosferatu
My LED's arrived today. Quick test and they work an absolute treat. Cost virtually nothing.
By QuickAvenger
I think I'm going to try carving a pattern into my led then I don't have to worry about a pumpkin.
By nosferatu
Ebay from this retailer. Not necessarily the cheapest but quick on delivery and great feedback. I had mine within 48 hours. I bought green ones.

Its my daughter's birthday party this weekend and this year instead of light up party bags, I am making light up mini party boxes out of black card, so these are ideal.

Also, I am making trick or treat crackers this year. Just like a Xmas cracker with joke etc. and am contemplating making them lit too. When the kids knock on the door, they get to pull the cracker and if it says treat then they get extra sweets.