Tips for candles, LED lights, electric, batteries, bulbs and beyond.
By GUS
As I purchased several hundred (& some) Howler lights (multi colour) I inevitably use real candles ALL the time*.

*I'm not allowed to use scissors & have never been able therefore to open the plastic packaging, ...oh well.
By purple1worm
I've always prefered candles but the last few years have been windy. I've tried putting them in votif glass holders to prevent them from going out.

But this year I might try the alternative! It's a bit of a pain to have to keep relighting them while I'm giving out candy! I work so hard on them it's a bummer that not everybody get's to see them when they are always getting blown out!
By wookie66
How great would the Bloody Mary pumpkin be with a strobe light in it. I also prefer real candles but im going to mix it up this year with half led and half real and see which ones get the better response.
By Hottie McNaughty
I've always used real candles. I'm lucky, where my pumpkins are displayed they really aren't subject to wind and rain. This year however, I'm going to mix it up with some LED's and strings of lights and see what happens. I'm looking forward to a little variety!
By monstermash
Candles. Ever since i was little. I love the smell when the candle starts cooking the lid. :)
By matspud
wookie66 wrote:How great would the Bloody Mary pumpkin be with a strobe light in it. I.
Wonder if this would work with a red LED and a strobe :?
By Nikki
I have decided.. for the ones outside.. I will use LEDs.. and for the few inside and poking out through the windows.. I will use actual candles.. That way the house can be filled with the smell of cooking pumpkins! 8)
By Kayo
personally i love candles the sent of the cinnamon and apple cider burning off just bring me back to child hood. but i do love lighting effects to be able to choose the color showing through your creepy creation is a nice touch.

but word from the wise be VARY careful of using strobes. they are a seizure hazard and when out at night this time of year i have to be careful of which block i go onto if someone chose to decorate with a strobe i must detour. seizures arnt fun and are vary common among small children.
By GUS
They may be a hazard, but so are staring at pc games, nintendo 3ds etc.

Point is you cannot be responsible for the 1 in 100,000 at cost to your planning & everyone elses fun, if the kids are not with parents who keep an eye out for their progeny then that s not the person upon whose property the trick or treaters are visiting's fault.

I hear you but it's entirely down to parents to modify their childrens behaviour & keep them in check when approaching prospective houses.

I'm actually more concerned that kids are not dressed for several hours in the cold whilst wearing the thinnest materials going, no mums clutching coats & warmers to keep children in the pink between streets.
By Kayo
GUS wrote:They may be a hazard, but so are staring at pc games, nintendo 3ds etc.

Point is you cannot be responsible for the 1 in 100,000 at cost to your planning & everyone elses fun, if the kids are not with parents who keep an eye out for their progeny then that s not the person upon whose property the trick or treaters are visiting's fault.

I hear you but it's entirely down to parents to modify their childrens behaviour & keep them in check when approaching prospective houses.

I'm actually more concerned that kids are not dressed for several hours in the cold whilst wearing the thinnest materials going, no mums clutching coats & warmers to keep children in the pink between streets.
im with you parents should be monitoring the potential dangers effecting their children and it isnt fair to the rest of you who dont have to endure such a frightening occurrence to let your decor suffer. sadly here in the states ive seen it happen where christmas carol-ors have sued a home owner because they didnt pay attention to where they were walking. so were a parent to falter not do the pre night run (my mom always went out with my brother before out with me and asked if strobes were used around) you sadly can be liable. :? just asking everyone keep it in mind.

one year i had some one drop those little hand warmers you use when snowboarding into my sack by the end of the night i had broken them out and i was properly warmed. its an idea i may use my self this year. :)
By GUS
Don't use the handwarmers if you can help it, they are a nasty chemical mix essentially, instead, use a charcoal stick burning pocket warmer (i've had mine for in excess of 30yrs, simply pre-prep them 40 mins before going out & you've up to 8 hrs (realistically 6.5 of super useful heat, (have a look on my site at essentials) ..very safe indeed & they last!

illuminated signage, perhaps is key for a disclaimer, private property is just that, just because I stick decorations up it doesn't mean i've done it for all & sundry to come door knocking, (in fact their is no sign inviting them, so it's their choice, just as they could & probably should be carrying suitable lighting bearing in mind they are out "putting in the miles" walking!?

litigious muppets.
By Raven
I have always used real candles. I just love how they look and as other have said I love the smell of the lid when it starts to burn. I always sprinkle it with a little nutmeg or cinnamon.

A few years ago I found some of these "liquid candles" and Wal-mart. They last hours. I haven't seen any since.

By hkzombie
Last year when I displayed my kins, I used C-7 Christmas Lights and they worked really well. These are really easy to handle and change, so I also brought green and red bulbs because I wanted to give that 'special touch' to some of my pumpkins. I use candles if I'm inside my house. Last year, when I would finished a newly carved kin I would use a tea-light candle. I close all of the lights, and see if my pattern came out nicely. If I missed any pieces or if there's sections that need cleaning up, I'd continute to work on them. It's one thing to see the whole design completed while under lights, but looking at the pattern using candlelight is giving you instant feedback on how your doing. :)

By staticfurball
I still use candles. I just make sure they are in tall glasses so the wind doesnt blow them out. The tealights I have are good for 4 hours, a little more pricy but way better quality.