Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Tricksy Faery
I'm looking into getting a Dremel for shading, tombstones, etc. and I'm really not sure which is better or even the differences in them. Here are the ones that were recommended to me..... what's your opinions since you guys actually understand why I want it?

Dremel 120-Volt High Performance Rotary Tool Kit

Dremel 3000 Rotary Kit

Dremel Rotary Tool Kit

Dremel 4000 Series Rotary Tool Kit

And yes I got so many "Are you crazy" looks when explaining why I wanted one. :D
By St0ney
I have a 400/4000 - And it has lasted me for the past 10 years.

The 400/4000 would be your best bet. They have a more powerful motor then the 200/300.

When buying a tool like this, think outside the box, not just the foam stuff, your looking to use it for.
You will find many uses for this tool, to fix, stuff around the house.

If you really only want it to carve foam, then go with the 300.
You still want something with a little balls, :D

You should also invest in a Flex Shaft, It's a lot lighter on the hand, then holding the entire weight of the Dremel.
You hold it like a Pen.
By sloaner
I should get one of those flex shafts, last year I did my first shaded pattern and holding the dremel the whole time was a real pain.
By St0ney
sloaner wrote:I should get one of those flex shafts, last year I did my first shaded pattern and holding the dremel the whole time was a real pain.

Oh you'll love using the flex shaft, you just hang the dremel from a nail or hook,
Your carves will also get much better, you have more control.

When I bought that 400 above, It was in a kit and came with the flex shaft, was $100 bucks.
Have not seen kits that include the shaft now. (at least when I looked last year)
By sloaner
My Dremel is battery powered. Do you think that will have any effect on the flex shaft?