Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
Here's a photo of the large "Gemmy" pumpkins on sale this year at Michaels.

Compared to last year, they look quite similar. The orange ones seem to be the same deep orange color. with a very dark brown stem. Word on the street is - they are the same thickness and have the same support band "ribs" inside. Quite possible the same mold as last year.

Carvers that do shaded designs with a Dremel will be disappointed with the return of these interior lines. They create uneven depth which messes up the shaded effect. And since shaded pumpkins require brighter lights inside, the bands may show up as dark stripes from the outside. Fortunately though, these "ribs" shouldn't really be of consequence to those of you cutting out the classic cut-through patterns that are offered on Zombie Pumpkins, save for the need for a little extra hand pressure when cutting through those parts.

Large pumpkins are 13" in size, available in orange or white, and sell for $24.99 at full price.

Next size down is the medium 9" pumpkin, available in orange, white, or black. They sell for $14.99 at full price.

And then there are the tiny pumpkins, at a wee 6.5", available in orange or white, priced at $8.99.

Finally, we have this odd fellow, which may be a new addition this year. A candy corn colored pumpkin. The colored stripes might limit the uses of this one, but I'm sure some folks will get a kick out of it. $19.99 at full price.

Which ones will you be picking up?
Wow. Of course the price would go up from last year, but I still plan on getting some. I probably will only be getting the largest and medium sized ones. I am not to sure about the Candy Corn shape and colored one though.
Great did you pick some up for me Ryan lol. I thought I saw a sign that said candy corn. I may get one of those and carve the tooth fairy on it. Hopfully they have some at my store this weekend then I can buy a few each week until I have the amount I need.
By Doh
Carvers that do shaded designs with a Dremel will be disappointed with the return of these interior lines. They create uneven depth which messes up the shaded effect. And since shaded pumpkins require brighter lights inside, the bands may show up as dark stripes from the outside. Fortunately though, these "ribs" shouldn't really be of consequence to those of you cutting out the classic cut-through patterns that are offered on Zombie Pumpkins, save for the need for a little extra hand pressure when cutting through those parts.
That is why we come up with ways to make removal easier and faster. This is a video of my line removal set up and, yes, those giant paws belong to me.
[youtube]
[/youtube]

That exact foamkin was used to make this carving:

No more lines!
By St0ney
Thanks for the Video Doh !

It's not that the lines are that Difficult to remove, it just the fact that they need to be removed.
The Key is as you demonstrate in your video, is to have the foam kin Lit, so you can remove the lines more effectively.

Shame our Concerns that were expressed to Micheal's Fell on Deaf Ears.

These Kins having lines will not be a deterrent to the shaded carver, This is basically the same pumpkin, as Last year,
And 1000's of Stoneykins shaded patterns were calved on them.

There are also other Foam pumpkins out there with-out lines - i.e. Funkins.
Im kind of liking the candy corn pumpkin, might be fun to try that one out. I need to find the right pattern for that one. I have already carved 3 of the new pumpkins this year and they are exactly the same as last year.
Finally opening a Michael's in MTL. I'll finally be able to get my hands on some foam pumpkins! Provided they open before Halloween! :lol: