Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
[Note: This item is available here, in the ZP Shocking Shop]

Here's some pictures and info about these pumpkin lights....

The "Deluxe" Rainbow Pumpkins lights have a total of 9 settings. You can choose to hold any of 7 different colors, or have it cycle through the whole rainbow (at 2 different fading speeds). They run on 3 AAA batteries or you can purchase a 4.5 volt AC adapter to plug it in.

The other version of this product is the Artificial Candle Pumpkin light. For the jack-o-lantern purists that prefer the look of a candle flame, this all-yellow LED light creates a flicker effect to simulate the look of a real candle.

They're great if you get sick of relighting candles all night. And a battery/electric light is a MUST for artificial foam pumpkins. Candles just aren't safe in those.

These lights probably aren't bright enough to shine through the "scrape-away" style carvings. But for the traditional cut-out carvings (like those I offer here) I have not found a better pumpkin light on the market.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Tkaraoke
I wonder how well the "candle" LED one works. I mean, it's hard to beat the flicker of an actual candle but when you're dealing with artifical pumpkins you have no choice in the matter.

I bought a Pumpkin Master battery powered "strobe" light from Walmart and was very, VERY dissapointed with the results. It wasn't even a strobe effect, the lights just blinked on and off at random...it was so freeking lame I laughed.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Tkaraoke wrote:I wonder how well the "candle" LED one works
It has more of a flicker than a candle would have when at rest. I suppose you could say it looks like a flame in a slight breeze. Meaning, there's a noticable difference in brightness as it flickers between bright and dim. The flickering pattern appears random though, so it doesn't look like a strobe light.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Tkaraoke
Speaking of the devil...

I just got my Howwwwwler lights today and they are really impressive. The red LED (by itself) is a little weak but all of the other colors are really bright! Gonna drop one of them into one of my Funkins when it gets dark enough outside to really give these puppies the test.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Funny that you mentioned that the red LED is weak. I think it's pretty bright. It's one of my favorites, at least. But red is my favorite color so I might be biased. Heh.

Personally, I think the blue color appears the most dim. While the green seems to be the brightest. Which is perfect for designs like the "Eye of Newt" witch, "Yoda" and "Herman Munster."
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Tkaraoke
I just took some pics of the Howler lit Funkin just right now. The green is probably the best single color while the blue really (for some reason) makes that simmer of the Funkin stand out.
By Tkaraoke
Here is a little side-by-side comparison:

As you can see, the blue light is pretty weak when actually put into the Funkin while the red (bottom left) looks great! The last panel shows the Howler put full on with all of the LEDs. I'm going to have to put in a piece of white board to see if that helps brighten the colors up but the green is hands-down the best color!
Ok, here is a before and after pic...

As you can see, using a piece of white board really makes those weak colors shine through. All I did was cut a piece a little larger than a 8x11 sheet of paper and lined the back of the Funkin with it.

The only negative I could find with using the white board is that when all of the LEDs are on, instead of a yellowish-orange color (as seen in previous message) you get a really weird grey-ish color.

BTW: I think I got a sun tan when I used it on the green setting! LOL
By cyberdman
Anybody been able to find a suitable power adaptor for these lights? I don't want to have to go through a mountain of batteries.
By Drayco
cyberdman wrote:Anybody been able to find a suitable power adaptor for these lights? I don't want to have to go through a mountain of batteries.
I'm waiting to see if the Patch Master offers it in his Shocking Shop! Buying the adapter or lights from there helps support this website and forum. Even if you end up using batteries each light will last up to 72 hours on one set.
By Tkaraoke
Ca-rap!!!!

I looked into getting an AC adapter for my new Howler light from Radio Shack and it looks like they want $20 (web price) for one that will work with it.

If you go over to www.pumpkinlights.com you can get one
for $6.99.

You can guess which place I'm going to get mine from!
By Tkaraoke
Pumpkin King wrote:I just got my Howler Lights yesterday and they are awesome.
I picked up four of them when TPM first offered them through the website. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a few more so I can give them to the people I'm making Funkins for.
By CarverK
My husband and I just picked up the rainbow and the candle lights at the Discovery Store. I wish I had found this forum sooner, by the time I saw this post it was too late to order any. I went to Howler's site and saw that they sold at the Discovery Store. We were at the mall and I figured I'd go in and check if they had any. They did, and they were half off! So we got one of each. Just wanted to post this just in case anyone was still looking for one. :)
By matspud
Hey Ryan, These have been one of the best purchases I ever made. I had 9 kids (plus my son) over the weekend all of them carving for only the first or second time ( I did some last year) and they were all really impressed that the carvings they had made with such care could look so cool. I even managed to persuade my Mum to do her first 'kin. :D
Thanks again for the speedy service .
Nicky