Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Tkaraoke
It's one of the reasons I like the Monster Scoop. I like the pointed end on it and can get down there and chip away at the bottom to remove the strands and pulp at the very bottom of the pumpkin.
By amandap80
Here is a solution my boyfriend came up with last year. He put some red food coloring in a syringe with a neddle attached (from the vet's office) and injected the front of the pumpkin ever few inches. He gutted until he saw the red spots, which were about 1/2 inch deep.
By Euri
I love the pumpkin gutter! I think that I need to get another one. Ryan I hope that you offer them next year.

I haven't had as much luck getting the bottom/top of the pumpkin cleaned out with the pumpkin gutter myself. I just do a scoop on that part. However it works like a dream on the sides. I did have to watch to make sure that it wasn't going too thin but I found that if I used it horizontally and then vertically along the wall that it cleaned up nice and even.

I'm wondering if you could use the pumpkin gutter to clean out the black line on foam pumpkins. Has anyone tried it?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I will be offering the Pumpkin Gutters again next year, they seem to be a big hit. I had even greater luck with mine this year, thanks to a more powerful drill. If you're a perfectionist, you'll still have to do a little touchup work with a hand scoop, but this gutter got the walls of my pumpkin nice and clean in a jiffy!

By CanadianCarver
Euri wrote:I haven't had as much luck getting the bottom/top of the pumpkin cleaned out with the pumpkin gutter myself.
Glad to hear it's not just me! Don't get me wrong, I too love the pumpkin gutter. I don't think I could even attempt to carve the 30 or so pumpkins I have without it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!
By Euri
Well if you are, you have company. Actually I'm glad that you posted that. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong myself. :wink:
By Tkaraoke
I don't understand when you mean the "top" of the pumpkin. Are you meaning the lid or am I just being dense?
By Euri
Generally when I'm carving pumpkins I cut out the bottom and put the pumpkin over the light and throw away the part I cut out- no lid. I realize that not everyone does this. I guess I should have said the part of the pumpkin opposite the opening (be it top or bottom). :wink:
By Kittie
I get it now. Yeah, since we do so many, we have to cut off the top so that we can put it back on and hold in the moisture. I do have problems with stringy pumpkins sometimes, but I guess that is to be expected.
By Tkaraoke
I just gutted my first pumpkin of the year about 5 mintues ago. Took me that long to actually gut and thin it! Woohoo! Did I forget to tell you I love this tool?

:D
By matspud
Well, finally got round to using it last night ( after having to go and buy a new drill. Its SCARY!!!!!!!
WE weren't too sure just how far to go so I ended up doing quite a bit of thinning but all in all a thumbs up. I need more practice and thankfully there are another 16 kins in the garage :D

HUbby says the way to go with the kins we have is full speed ahead :twisted:
By S.A.M
matspud wrote:Well, finally got round to using it last night ( after having to go and buy a new drill. Its SCARY!!!!!!!
It is scary using it the first time, my brother said my face was a mix of awe and worry when I first used it, especially with how fast the drill goes :lol:

I've gutted three pumpkins with it now and I can't believe how easy it is to do and how fast it's done, I'm actually looking forward to gutting the pumpkins now. Along with the ZP carving tools the pumpkin gutter is one of the best purchases I've made this year for Halloween.
By Black Talon
How close is this thing to a standard power hand mixer / egg beater blade with an extended arm length? Also looks very similar to those drill-mounted paint mixers (with a sharp edge)...
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Similar in concept egg beaters and paint mixers I suppose, but designed specifically for pumpkin gutting. You might be able to use an egg beater or paint mixer attachment to loosen some strings/seeds... but the curved blades on the end of this Pumpkin Gutter are sharp enough to slice their way through quite well. And then the blades can also thin down the inside flesh of the pumpkin which helps a lot.

The edge is like a blade, but not razor sharp, meaning you won't cut yourself if you touch it. WHILE IT'S NOT SPINNING, of course! Please NEVER stick your fingers near the end of the gutter if it's attached to a drill!

Speaking of... I'm looking to pick up a new drill this year. I need something with a little more POWER. Anyone have any recommendations regarding drills? Maybe one you've had good experience with the gutting process (or other power jobs)?
By gregh3196
I have a Craftsmen 19 volt that has worked great for anything i have needed to do. Gutted 9 pumpkins last year and it never skipped a beat.