Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By ghostface
MooBoo wrote:
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I still have quite a few of those laying around. If you carvers didn't mind having a tool that looked a bit beat up, maybe I should consider selling them at a huge discount, or maybe just give them away for free, as prizes for mini contests or something.
I wouldn't mind a slightly beat up one, wether u sell them or give them away i would like to get my hands on one. Lol. Its always good to have a spare :D
Hmm I wouldn't mind either I don't have any ZP Carving tools so I think it would be a good idea to give them away in a mini contest.
By SuperSonic
Count me in too! I've wanted the Orangre one as well!
By Dadja
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the orange-swirl acrylic carving tools will be back for the 2012 season. They didn't sell all that well. But beyond that, the process of manufacturing the tools, and then engraving them, proved to be pretty challenging. It was a bit of an experiment, I'm not even sure of the companies I use to produce the parts are interested in trying it again. I wouldn't be surprised if I attempt other variations in the future. But for now, we may just stick with the tried and true classic, the proven wood handle tools.
Wait, so: they didn't sell all that well, but they're sold out? Aaaaah, I get it.

(I so don't get it)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Dadja wrote:Wait, so: they didn't sell all that well, but they're sold out? Aaaaah, I get it.

(I so don't get it)
Haha. Well, they sold out because I didn't order too many of the orange tools (compared to wood ones). As a new, experimental product, I didn't want to stock too many and be stuck with them if they weren't popular.

Due to the small quantity, I did eventually run out. But the orange handled tools sold at a much slower pace than the wood handed tools.

Maybe buyers preferred the wood because it was a couple dollars cheaper? Maybe the wood seems more traditional and sturdy compared to acrylic, (which some might mistake for cheap plastic, which it is not)? Hard to say.
By sloaner
too bad, I was going to buy an orange one this year. Maybe I will just get another wood one,
By monstermash
Well I loved the orange one and I can't wait to see what other creepy creations crawl out of that brain of yours. I'm guessing here but it might only have been down to the fact that the wooden ones were cheaper. They both look great so when it comes to deciding which one to pick perhaps folk simply chose to save a couple $/£.
By suzika
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:One of the clear indications that this material was harder to manufacture... after production and engraving, many of the acrylic handles ended up scratched or with small chips taken out of them. I wouldn't feel right selling these sub-par items.

I still have quite a few of those laying around. If you carvers didn't mind having a tool that looked a bit beat up, maybe I should consider selling them at a huge discount, or maybe just give them away for free, as prizes for mini contests or something.

While the handles may not exactly look pretty, they're still totally functional for carving. They would probably be more useful in the hands of pumpkin carvers that just want another handle in their toolbox (so they don't have to switch blades), as opposed to sitting dormant in a box in my office.
I'd love to buy one of the leftovers, I was planning on buying one last year, but they sold out before I had the extra cash.