Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By ghostface
Just got an electric pumpkin carver last night! Going to try it in a few weeks! Has anyone had experience with this product!??
By SuperSonic
ghostface wrote:Just got an electric pumpkin carver last night! Going to try it in a few weeks! Has anyone had experience with this product!??
That depends, does it look like a miniature jig saw? Or is it a handheld saw that acts like a jig saw?

I've seen ones used that are like the handheld version, and results weren't to the liking for most people that carve.

The way I understand how it works is this:

With the jigsaw (a small bandsaw for woodwork and various other purposes), the blade moves in and out/up and down, this depends on how you look at it.

You must move fast/slow with it, or the cut will wander/look choppy, and the blade has to fit the application you are using it for. Otherwise say good bye work piece (or pumpkin in this case).

I've seen them used, but have not used one myself, so I can't say for sure how you will have your kin turn out.

Post pics as soon as your done to show us your encounter with it!
By ghostface
It is a hand hald saw that acts like a jigsaw. I will post pictures as soon as I start carving this year!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I have a couple of these in my tool box, but don't ever use them really. I usually tell people that they're best for simple designs, with long lines and gradual curves. But for any sort of detail work, I find it hard to get good control with the blade going up and down on its own.

Still, we've seen people prefer gluing patterns over transfer paper... or favoring a saw tool for foam over a heat knife. So it's really just a matter of what feels right for your skills and tastes.

Let us know how it works out for ya!
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperSonic
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I have a couple of these in my tool box, but don't ever use them really. I usually tell people that they're best for simple designs, with long lines and gradual curves. But for any sort of detail work, I find it hard to get good control with the blade going up and down on it's own.

Still, we've seen people prefer gluing patterns over transfer paper... or favoring a saw tool for foam over a heat knife. So it's really just a matter of what feels right for your skills and tastes.

Let us know how it works out for ya!
ZP Pro carving tool...no questions asked. :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
SuperSonic wrote:ZP Pro carving tool...no questions asked. :)
But which version? :wink: :twisted:
By Chewy
ive got one of those - mines a PM product. Bought it 80% off at michaels five or six years ago. Used it twice. Have never been happy with it, just too hard to control.

Good luck!
By SuperSonic
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
Theres more than one!? :shock:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
SuperSonic wrote:
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
Theres more than one!? :shock:
Yep, now there is! :D
By ghostface
NO WAY!!!!!!! That is awesome!!!!! :D