Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By GUS
Wearing my brightest one now to get used to the headband again 9lost it for a while)...

I've also mislaid my old favourite the Petzl Zipka+.
So with that in mind I treated myself to a new one to add some clout to my Petzl Myo Xp (80+ Lumens 3 light settings & emergency flash mode) with 140 lumen short boost

I've just bought via a very sluggish ebay the latest version Thr Petzl Myo RXP 10 programmable settings & up to 140 lumens with a 160 lumen boost, I look forward to getting hold of that

..might have to tool time tim my old one & fit a new "beefed up" led if the difference is tat palpable.
Currently it go's for around £70 & I got it for under £40 inc p+p ..happy, as it'll help my carving (well that's my excuse) via dial in lighting.
However there are a few good brands on the market, such as Black diamond, Princeton Tec, Mammut & a few others...

So what do you use & why?
By CorpseBride
Ok...wow Gus. Don't laugh...but I use a headlamp that came in a case of beer a few years ago :lol: Its not the best, but it was free!
By Hottie McNaughty
I'm not sure what brand mine it, but I bought it because it was orange. :oops:
By GUS
CorpseBride wrote:Ok...wow Gus. Don't laugh...but I use a headlamp that came in a case of beer a few years ago :lol: Its not the best, but it was free!
Free, huh? ..that really appeals to the Scot in me, an eye for a bargain in a lady, that also appeals to me a lot! ....marriage material :lol:
By GUS
Hottie McNaughty wrote:I'm not sure what brand mine it, but I bought it because it was orange. :oops:

Oh Hottie!!!!
..where is that head in hands, or even a facepalm pumpkin smiley when you need it!

I'm really showin myself up as a greenie, liberal eco obsessive with a penchant for LED's arent I :oops:
By Hottie McNaughty
GUS wrote:
Hottie McNaughty wrote:I'm not sure what brand mine it, but I bought it because it was orange. :oops:

Oh Hottie!!!!
..where is that head in hands, or even a facepalm pumpkin smiley when you need it!

I'm really showin myself up as a greenie, liberal eco obsessive with a penchant for LED's arent I :oops:
In my defense, it *is* an LED head lamp....that I know for sure. After all, Mr. McNaughty is an electrician so I do have a love of the LEDs. I switched all my Christmas lights to LED, too.
By GUS
There is a nice "black diamond" branded led lamp, so i'll just assume it's that one & congratulate you on your fine choice & fashion sensibilities matching both seasonal aspects with your wardrobe. :D

in fact I think it's the only orange one I know of, so likely is a "BD" (showing my inner geek again possibly)
therefore it'd be good bin stock measured led lumen output, & proper!

a decently specced led makes for decent light & burn time, the cheapies often make for uneven light & eat batteries within a few hours!
By GUS
Well i've been programming the new headlamp today & am wearing it now, on flood beam at it's lowest setting of 8 Lumens it's pretty terrific, ideal for carving or lighting a few feet of table to eat by the light of one beam.

I stuffed it in a big old foamie & it lit beautifully.

The strobe speed has to be seen to be believed, out of sos pattern mode it tricks the brain straight away, you couldn't run down the road with it flashing in strobe (unlike it's predecessor) as you'd just end in a ditch...

Highly recommended add to your kit, be it for carving or escaping Z-day intact. (allegedly that's 90 hrs on lowest setting) so very good for natural disaster, mooching around in attics etc.

Hottie, your husband would love this for crawl spaces etc if you find one cheap on ebay treat him!
By zombombie
I've never even thought of using a headlamp to carve but thinking about it, it makes pretty good sense!

I'll need to check out ebay, see if I can get a budget headlamp. Seeing as I'd probably only use it at Halloween I don't think I'd need anything special!
By pagemaster1993
I used one last night to carve a Michael's craft pumpkin. I do not know what brand it is, but it did help when my hand shadowed over the line I was working on. Now I think I will use it everytime I carve.
By wookie66
Great idea, can't believe i never thought of it, i have some shopping to do tomorrow.
By GUS
Right, well another Petzl this is the updated "ZIPKA" PLUS 2.

Same headstrap (ie none), it's on a retractable reel.

A much improved 50 lumen singular LED giving a finer focus on the previous 4 led array.
Softer click button to cycle through settings..
High & low power cycle, plus an intimidating strobe, beating the previous hands down!

Red light for night vision & red light strobe functionality.

last setting memory (where you left it is where it comes on...

Red light / regular light simply keep the button pressed down & it flicks between the two.

What I like about this is that it allows both bright angle piercing light & a much softer almost safety light option to scrutinize your carving edges, & illuminate gently from inside with red light rather than blinding you with cold white..

I can fix this to my wrist for close up detail light, the strap hugs without strangling, can also sing it over ar an angle down the side of the wrist for variation depending upon requirements.

Overall a very handy headtorch one i'm glad i've upgraded.

I can vouchsafe for the level of service from Petzl (uk) who are deemed a "pro" premium brand in the event of a warranty claim or general query.
Battery level indicator comes on at 50% charge
price is rrp of £30.99 uk

This was sent to me & received today as a replacement for a lightly cracked casing on my old model, still perfectly useable, nice to know some manufacturers still value their customers.
..comes with a 3 yr petzl warranty as do all their headtorches, so i'm covered for the forseeable...
Heartily recommended as cheaper but measured output headtorch, ideal in a pouch on your keychain, where it comes into it's own.