Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Joey wrote:One thing I felt I should bring up is when I washed the ZP style handle, it got all dry and rough, whereas the old style has like a varnish or something that keeps it smooth and shiny. Anyone else have this problem
Joey, I think you have an older version of the tools, so I can't speak specifically of your situation. But I can tell you that we have starting using a simple food-safe wax wood finish for the last couple years.

Specifically, it's called "George's Club House Wax" and is a bees wax that has been double filtered in food grade mineral oil. This should protect the wood handles well for general use each year around the Halloween season. Despite words like "wax" and "oil" the handles are dry to the touch and quite smooth.

When cleaning your handles after carving, a quick wipe with a damp rag should be all you need (but you can remove the metal parts and rinse or soak those in water). You just might want to avoid soaking the wood in soapy water, since that could remove some of the protective finish.

If you ever wanted to give the wood a fresh coating, you could pick up that wax finish (or similar) and give it a recoat by hand, let them sit a while, and give wipe dry with a rag.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
suzika wrote:Ryan, can you sell a set of replacement blades? I need more blades for next year.
I've been using the same blades forever, so generally they shouldn't need replacing. But for those who might be tougher on their blades and wish to order replacements, I can do that. Right now I have a small supply of spare blade sets, but not enough to offer them with the automated shopping cart system of the site.

So if anyone is interested in replacement blades, get in touch with me by PM or the contact form, and we can work out the transaction. The blades come in sets of 6 (3 small, 3 large) and sell for $5.

Unfortunately, I can't currently offer the wood/brass handles separately, without the blades.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Someone recently asked me about the size of the blades, so I thought I'd also post this info here.

The ZP Pro Pumpkin Carving Tool comes with 6 blades, in 2 sizes.

The carving edge of the larger blade is about 2 1/2" long, and is 1/4" at its widest point.

The carving edge of the smaller blade is about 2" long, and it's 1/8" at its widest point.

With the wood and brass handle, the whole tool is about 8 inches long.

By Hottie McNaughty
So I totally enabled a co-worker with her very own ZP Pro Pumpkin Carving Tool and a t-shirt. She's just as into carving as I am and hasn't had good tools to use in the past. She was pretty excited when I surprised her with them!
By snow2alike
Aww Hottie Mc that was so nice of you.

I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy my own.

I really with I had some one close by who was into carving as much as I am. I'm so jealous !!!
By GUS
I swear this year I'm going to thin out the handle of one of my sets, surely it'd be easier for diminuitive hands (ladies or kids) ..not so bad for my face flattening meat hooks but I prefer them a bit more daintified too! :lol:
By Hottie McNaughty
GUS wrote:I swear this year I'm going to thin out the handle of one of my sets, surely it'd be easier for diminuitive hands (ladies or kids) ..not so bad for my face flattening meat hooks but I prefer them a bit more daintified too! :lol:
I have big giant man hands so I haven't had an issue. I *do* get a gnarly 'carving callous' on my middle finger, though.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Hottie -- Thanks for enabling a friend with your recent gift giving. Pumpkin carving is one addiction I'm happy to see spread! As for the unfortunate 'carving callous' issue, maybe you could use the gloves that snow2alike employs.
By snow2alike
Hottie the bionic gloves are wonderful --- a bit pricy --- but they are high quality. I get a new pair every other year and this is the year for my new pair --- my fingernails are poking thru the tips of the gloves.

But the trick I tell all my new carving clients is to wrap a rubber band around the part of the saw they hold onto! It adds cush, helps with grip and you don't slip up and down while carving. This really helps alot with not getting the dreadded gnarly carving callus,

By Hottie McNaughty
I like the rubber band idea! The big, giant man hands don't like to be contained in gloves.....
By CorpseBride
snow2alike wrote:Hottie the bionic gloves are wonderful --- a bit pricy --- but they are high quality. I get a new pair every other year and this is the year for my new pair --- my fingernails are poking thru the tips of the gloves.

But the trick I tell all my new carving clients is to wrap a rubber band around the part of the saw they hold onto! It adds cush, helps with grip and you don't slip up and down while carving. This really helps alot with not getting the dreadded gnarly carving callus,

This is great! I am going to try this out this year.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
That rubber band trick is pretty clever. Makes me wonder... maybe I could find some sort of foam grip that would fit snuggly to that spot on the handle. Would be a good add-on to the kit, for the marathon carvers out there.
By Hottie McNaughty
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:That rubber band trick is pretty clever. Makes me wonder... maybe I could find some sort of foam grip that would fit snuggly to that spot on the handle. Would be a good add-on to the kit, for the marathon carvers out there.
Or just include some cool orange rubber bands? Whatever you use, it's going to get all covered in pumpkin bits. A foam grip would be cool, though.
By knightmaher
I finally got myself one of these this year and love it. Of course it was the perfect excuse to do a carving weeks before the 31st. We ordered this and my wife got a tshirt. She was pleasantly surprised to find a couple of extra goodies with our shipment. Thanx Ryan.
By Chewy
Mine came today. Am very impressed with the skookum quotient on it. Cant wait to tear into one of my kins with it - especially after the agonizing process of growing them first!

Woo Hoo!