Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By SuperSonic
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:That rubber band trick is pretty clever. Makes me wonder... maybe I could find some sort of foam grip that would fit snuggly to that spot on the handle. Would be a good add-on to the kit, for the marathon carvers out there.
I could use these... 30 kins is a huge payload, but maybe something like this would be more fitting, but softer obviously.
By Euri
I've been wanting to get a ZP carving knife for quite some time. Two, in fact so I can have one with a small blade and one with a large.

However, until I can swing that, I've been using my own saws. I cut the blade of a coping saw about in half or whatever length I want. I heat up the end and insert it in a straight piece of tube hanger. Then I get a foam cushion for a pencil and slide it right on. It works very well! Then when ever I brake a blade or whatever it's easy to replace.

Since I don't have the ZP carving knife I can't say for sure, but would a foam pencil grip fit on it?
By GUS
Snow, how much tip is hidden within the handle, mine doesn't do that, nowhere near that extent.
By Tj
Just got the Walnut Pumpkin Tool a couple weeks ago, literally a couple days before the Acrylic one went up (no worries, I'll pick it up at some point too). Where has this thing been most of my life? Not sure how I managed to carve so many pumpkins with those kits; my hand shrivels up in pain at the thought of them now.

The only suggestion that I have is that there's a small learning curve. If you are used to carving with the Pumpkin Masters kits, you're probably using a little bit of pressure to move the tool. The Z.P. Pumpkin Tool has actual teeth and moves through a pumpkin like butter... pressure is not really needed. Just takes a couple minutes to get used to.

It's hard to express how much I love this tool; although I have always loved carving, I always kind of dreaded the process every year 'cause I knew my hand would be in severe pain after a pumpkin or two. It really makes the entire process of carving pumpkins more enjoyable for me. I'll easily order at least one more set for next year.
By Chewy
Admittedly, i didnt get to carve as much as normal, but i did get to try out my shiny new ZP tool & overall, was definitely happy. Like almost everything I touch, i did find a couple of things that I thought - jeez, wouldnt it be nice if...

I found i had to go back to thinning more than i was used to. One of the PM tools i have actually has a pretty long blade (they called it a "fine blade" - its not really, their foamie saw is what i call fine (and stiffer than normal, just too darn short), i can get away with thicker skins.

So.. if you ask me, the fine ZP blade, it would sure be nice if it could be 1/4-3/8" longer. I think the blade is thick enough / stiff enough that it would support being a little longer.

Second observation, it did certainly penetrate better than a stock PM tool, but, ive modified most of mine (sharpened the tips so they make the initial penetration smoother & with less force = less chance of OOPS!). A chisel tip / ground point would also be a super premium feature too.

And, since im talking about "wouldnt it be nice" - what i'd really like for the occasional section of back cutting - would be a blade that is serrated on both edges - would save a little bit of effort in turning the blade around. I recall seeing a japanese woodworking saw like that in a lee valley catalog once (but much larger of course).

I wont suggest a solution for the ham handed (like me) though, i just assume now since i cant often buy gloves off the shelf that fit, it also follows that some tools just arent an ergonomic fit. Neither are softball gloves and blackberrys (i can cover the whole keyboard with my thumbs... sigh)

anyway, my two cents. Thanks for a great product. Well worth the investment & will need to buy at least one more for next season so my daughter and i dont get into a tussle over who has to use the crappy old tools. Hmm... maybe a christmas present for her... LOL
By suzika
I have been bragging on your carving tools all over the place, especially in the places where I won carving contests (three online this year, woohoo)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Chewy wrote:if you ask me, the fine ZP blade, it would sure be nice if it could be 1/4-3/8" longer...

A chisel tip / ground point would also be a super premium feature too...

for the occasional section of back cutting... a blade that is serrated on both edges
Hey, these are all great suggestions, Chewy! I agree with you that a longer fine blade would be useful. It's something I've been trying to do, but it just hasn't happened yet. A sharper point and dual serrated edges would make this a super tool. I'll keep exploring the options and see what I can deliver.

I've actually experimented with many trial versions of handles and blades over the years (my pumpkin toolbox full of mismatched pieces of test products, hehe). So far I haven't found any better blade options than what I offer, but your ideas will point my research in the right direction.
By SuperSonic
I personally (from a safety point of view) think that a dual serated edge, would be nice, but to me it seems like its a safety concern. Just because it has two edges and those who dont know how to change the blades, would run into major problems I think.

I REALLY would love a blue/red and black handle out of the acrylic ZP! tool, but this is wishful thinking. Even Red and White for use Canadians :wink: :roll:

However, I do not control what happens so what it will be is what it will be.
It's NOT safe so don't try this at home but because I work in a medical setting I have access to scalpel blades so I use those for certain areas of carving. Eventually I'm sure I'll accidentally lop off an important body part but man, they slice through 'kins like buttah!
Hottie McNaughty wrote:It's NOT safe so don't try this at home but because I work in a medical setting I have access to scalpel blades so I use those for certain areas of carving. Eventually I'm sure I'll accidentally lop off an important body part but man, they slice through 'kins like buttah!
I do not know why, but some how I see you in full surgery get up carving a pumpkin, and asking some one to hand you all you need at the moment you need it.
pagemaster1993 wrote:
Hottie McNaughty wrote:It's NOT safe so don't try this at home but because I work in a medical setting I have access to scalpel blades so I use those for certain areas of carving. Eventually I'm sure I'll accidentally lop off an important body part but man, they slice through 'kins like buttah!
I do not know why, but some how I see you in full surgery get up carving a pumpkin, and asking some one to hand you all you need at the moment you need it.
That would be marvelous!
By cuvers
well, I just ordered a ZP blade, can't wait for it to get here as there are already pumpkins available in my area. can't wait to try it out!! But I can promise that once I do try it I am going to be SOOOO disappointed that it took me so long to finally get one!!!!!!!!! :)=
By Rich D
I ordered a kit this year and have carved about 6 pumpkins with it so far. I really like it. It has some heft, so it is easier to control than the PM tools. The narrow, pointed blade makes it easier to do the smaller detailed cuts and it really flies through the larger cuts. The only negative issue I have experienced with the tool occurred when I was carving the tree branches in the Root of all Evil pattern. I was carving it on a funkin and the branch snapped off with the sawing motion. I've gone back to my x-acto knives when I have to carve out "skinny" areas like branches or the drips on the Bloody Mary pattern.
Thanks for the review, Rich D. I would agree with the warnings about using the Pro Carving Tool saw on foam pumpkins. Small bits could break. I mostly use my Pro Carving Tool for real pumpkins. For foam, I'd use a sharp blade like an X-acto (or a heated version, like the Versa Tool).