Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Tkaraoke
Not to step on Pumpkin Fresh's toes, but I found another pumpkin preserve product on the web called PUMPKIN DUNK'N...

http://www.yankeehalloween.com/pumpkin_dunkn.html

The good thing is that if you have multiple pumpkins, you can use the same solution over and over again as long as the pumpkins are generally the same size and shape to fit in the container. I figured that if you got a trash can full of that solution, it should really help the people who carve huge displays. You could spend a couple of weeks carving them instead of having to carve them a few days before. I think you can do more than one pumpkin at a time as long as all of the pumpkin parts stay fully submerged.
By Pumpkin King
I have used the pumpkin dunk'n product for several years and it does work in preserving your pumpkin much longer than with no treatment at all. I had stocked up before they sold out.

It would mix several packges (1 box per 3 gallons of water) in a 30 gallon garbage can and you could dip multiple pumpkins at a time. You need to make sure the pumpkin is completely submerged. I used a stick with a rock as weight to hold them down. You soak the pumkins for 24 hours.

The solution lasted all season long as long as you keep it clean (e.g. the pumpkins have to be clean, no lose pulp or bits. Also between soaking s make sure to restir the solution.

Note at the time I lived in the northwest and kept the solution in the garage. I not sure how well it would work in hot weather states over the course of the carving season.

I did carvings for people and one business that I did a carving for had one last for a month on a single dip, they displayed it several hours a day and kept it in a walk in cooler when not displaying it. You could redip the pumpkin and it would probably extend the length of the pumpkin.

You do need to wash over the pumpkin after soaking since with leaves a white film you need to clean off. Also you need to wash your hands after contact with he solution since it can cause a chemical burn (not for kids to use). Also they warn not to eat a pumpkin treated with pumpkin dunk'n. LOL

I can tell you the worst smell I have ever smelled was when I accidentally forgot about a pumpkin that I had left in the solution for about two weeks straight when I cleaned out the garbage can I got dry heaves the smell was so bad.

My understanding is that yankeeharvest no longer carries the pumpkin dunk'n. I had heard from the person that created it that they discontinued making it since the product didn't sell well enough.

A friend of mine soaks her's in her swimming pool, the water rehydrates the pumpkin and the chlorine retards mold growth.
By pumpkinhead232
pumpkin dunkin is not being made anymore. concept marketing who made is sold. their company plus a lot of companies weren't selling the product that much.
By Dr. Frybrain
pumpkinhead232 wrote:pumpkin dunkin is not being made anymore. concept marketing who made is sold. their company plus a lot of companies weren't selling the product that much.
Our Pumpkin Embalmer product uses the same principle as Pumpkin Dunk'N used to, except it uses 10% of the chemicals, and lasts 33% longer!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
As "Pumpkin Dunk'n" seems to be a now-defunct product, this thread will be locked. But if you kind comparable products, feel free to start new topics specifically for those (if you've had experience with them).