Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Ajax
Anyone tried this stuff? Is it worth the large price? Does it taste any good? Are the bottles made of glass. Thanks for any responses. I'm thinking about ordering a 24 pack but it will be $150 by the time i get it to canada.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Hey Ajax... I bought some of this Tru Blood right after they announced it.

The flavor is blood orange. To me it tastes a bit like orange soda, but with a little "bite" to it, pardon the pun. Slightly tart, I guess you could say. But not too strong, nor is it too heavy and syrupy.

Not quite like anything I've had before, but not so strange that you shouldn't like it if you like any other flavored sodas. Plus, you get to pretend you're drinking blood substitute, so that just makes it more fun.

The bottles are indeed red glass. Well, they may be regular glass with a transparent red coating. I notice the red coating scraped off a little bit around the threads at the top of the bottle, where the cap screws on. But no worries, the red is on there good, for all intents and purposes this is red glass.

I poured a bit of the drink out to see if the liquid was also red, and it is. I thought that was a nice touch, since you normally wouldn't see the drink's color inside the red glass anyway.

The bottles look true to the show, with the raised Japanese writing molded into the glass, with the logo on the side as a sticker label. I gave my bottles a good warm rinse after the drink was gone (so I can save them as props) and the label stayed on. I wouldn't run them through the dishwasher or anything.

The bottles also are held in branded cases with handle, and even the outer cardboard box they come in has the "Tru:Blood" logo on it. They went all out to make you feel like you're really a mainstreaming vampire.

So the drink and packaging is all quality. But because it's expensive, it's not something I plan to keep buying. I consider it more of a novelty item, appropriate for sharing with friends (who know the show), particularly for events like Halloween or a True Blood premiere/finale party.

I bought the 4 pack to try it out, and I love having these TV prop quality bottles sitting on my shelf as a decoration now. Here's a couple photos for ya. Hope the info helps.

By Raven
I bought a 4 pack also. I gave one away, even though it broke up my set. I figured I can always buy more if I can't stand a missing bottle. I drank one because I just had to know what it tasted like. To me I really thought of "Smarties" or "Sweet Tarts" as far as the flavor went. I am wondering why they went for a more orange color and flavor instead of a red color with a more cherry flavor. Maybe if the drinks sell well they will introduce different blood types with different flavors. That's what I would do anyway... :wink:

If you are a fan of the show it is a cool thing to have.
By Ajax
Thanks for the help the photos really help. I might just get the 4 pack instead. It looks like a better quality then I was thinking. I know it's a novelty thing but if they made this alcoholic and put it in the liquour stores they would make a killing(no pun intended).
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I've heard that drinking soda can make your teeth rot, but drinking so much of this Tru:Blood seems to have had another dental side effect for me...

By GUS
Ryan keeps bar at Sam's & drinks away the profits! :lol:

Poseur!
Ajax wrote:Anyone tried this stuff? Is it worth the large price? Does it taste any good? Are the bottles made of glass. Thanks for any responses. I'm thinking about ordering a 24 pack but it will be $150 by the time i get it to canada.
Ajax,

They sell it in Moncton, NB on Mountain Road at the book exchange/comic place by Gamezilla. Might save you some shipping costs.
By Ajax
Awesome, i was just up there today wish i had of read this post earlier i'll check it out next time i'm there.
By CorpseBride
zombiepumpkins wrote:I've heard that drinking soda can make your teeth rot, but drinking so much of this Tru:Blood seems to have had another dental side effect for me...

Where did you get the Merlotte's shirt??? That is awesome!

And do you guys know if the drinks are available in Canada? It would be a great prop to have out!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
CorpseBride wrote:Where did you get the Merlotte's shirt??? That is awesome!
I got the shirt at Hot Topic, it's a dark green, pretty much just like seen on the show. I know they sell a similar (black, more expensive) version on the HBO Shop website. In fact, they sell just about EVERYTHING from the show, from drinking glasses, to jewelry, to shirts seen on the show.
By Dredge
Yea, I was thinking, "oh, its probably like $10...I can swing that"

Then I looked on the net. $20-30 for a 4 pack!? I dont think I can justify that.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I saw individual bottles of Tru Blood for sale in the mall, at FYE. Not sure the price, but at least you can just try one (and not have to pay shipping).
By SaneInsideInsanity
dp a border jump ajax pick some up day trip style then come back voila no shipping....though NB might make that difficult