Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
Second post, but I had to bring this up.

I stopped in Michael's tonight, thinking I might get a second look at their Monster Scoop, and instead I spotted something else entirely.

Pumpkin Masters has a scoop I've never seen before. It's not even on their website. It's not that Deluxe scraper scoop with the flimsy black handle.

This thing was called the "Jack-o'-Ripper". Looks like a wide, steel, slightly concave teardrop with a serrated edge, about four inches long and two and a half inches across the tip. It has a four-inch sturdy orange handle with a thumb rest at the point of the teardrop. It's a serious piece of equipment, marked Adults Only. No wobbly metal or bendy plastic here. It's a serious tool.

It's like Pumpkin Masters made their own version of Michaels Monster Scoop, and it looks like an improvement, to be honest.

Anyone tried one yet? I intend to, likely will use a clay wire tool for smoothing after, but it looks promising as a gutter.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Glad you brought this up, Barrett, I've been meaning to. I also spotted these in Michael's and picked up a couple.

You're right, these tools are big, solid and look like they could really shred a pumpkin (in a good way). Seem to be well designed, ergonomically. Similar to the "Monster Scoop" we've seen before, but with a rounded end instead of a point. A nice broad curve, serrated edge for scraping off strings, and a concave spoon shape for scooping out large blobs of pumpkin innards. An alternate tool may need to be used afterward if you want a smooth inner surface, due to the serrated edge of this scraper.

I'll post a review of my experience once I've tried them. But they seem quite promising. Retails for $6.99.
By Barrett
Excellent!

I look forward to your critique. I'll post one as well here in the next week or so.
By Paperjane9
I bought one of these too, at Michaels. Unfortunately, we cannot locate the charger for our drill, otherwise I would have purchased the gutter along with all the other wonderful toys I got from the shop. And, I could enter the contest...oh well. I figured I could smooth the inner walls with one of my many PM scrapers that I own. I can't wait to try this out and will dutifully post a review when I do.
By Barrett
Okay, gave it a try on a failed eyeball pumpkin last weekend (see the story in the patterns and stories section if you want).

I was gutting from the side, not the usual top or bottom, and manuevering was a hair more difficult, but this thing made short work of the gutting process.
I did find I gripped it higher than anticipated, but again, this may be from try to use it in a pumpkin from the side, where full clearance for the handle was a challenge.

It shears through gutting and strings fast, and I quickly learned that a crosshatch or an X sort of pattern on the inside cleaned the pumpkin efficiently. If I were doing a classic face, this tool would have easily cleaned the pumpkin to my satisfaction. As it was, I wanted a slightly thinner wall, so I followed up with the clay loop. Short work, people. The best part of the experience, honestly.

I timed myself with this tool. I was able to gut the pumpkin and proceed to the clay loop in 1 min, 22 seconds.

I will keep this tool, and give it an honored spot near my drywall saw and clay loop.
By Dr. Frybrain
zombiepumpkins wrote: An alternate tool may need to be used afterward if you want a smooth inner surface, due to the serrated edge of this scraper.
Yes, I would think PM's regular scraper scoop could be used as a 'finishing' tool.
By badgers
Yep this tool is great!! I gutted 6 pumpkins this afternoon and it was awesome.

Also awesome is the super scooper in Ryan's Shocking Shop. I used that for first for scooping out the seeds. It worked great at pulling out piles and piles of seeds. I put them in a seperate bucket.

Then I used the pumkin masters jack-o-ripper tool to remove the heavy gooey guts, it worked great!

Then the pumpkin gutter to thin the walls, and the pumpkin masters scraper scoop to smooth it all out.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I used the Jack-o'-Ripper Scraper Scoop several days ago, and must say it's a winner, as expected. It's funny how every tool has it's place. It's tough to find a single tool that does it all.

While you might swap in other tools for loosening seeds, pulling strings, and thinning walls, this Jack-o'-Ripper is excellent for the process of spooning out the pumpkin guts. Because the metal scoop is so large, wide, and sturdy, you can lift out large mounds of guts all at once.

A worthy addition to any carvers tool box.
By matspud
I really like the look of this and would definitely buy one ( or 2 :D ). I don't like the Monster scoop with the pointy end as I like to thin down the bottom as much as possible to try to hide the lights. I also found it was quite difficult for me to control..... small hands ........ and I keep catching the point on the bottom.

I had been looking online for the PM deluxe scoop as it looked quite good for smaller pumpkins that don't warrant the gutter.
By Carving Queen
matspud wrote:I don't like the Monster scoop with the pointy end as I like to thin down the bottom as much as possible to try to hide the lights. I also found it was quite difficult for me to control..... small hands ........ and I keep catching the point on the bottom.
I dont like it either .I like the shape of the other and would like to try it out ... I would prefer a much shorter handle sort of like the PM plastic scrapers.
By matspud
If anyone has one of these or one of the new style deluxe PM scraper scoop ( with the serrated flat bottom) that they are willing to sell and post to the UK please drop me a line.
Thanks
By matspud
Finally got a couple of the deluxe scoops ( still no sign on ebay of the jack o ripper scoop). Not quite what I expected :?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043B ... ative=9325

The scoops I got were in the same packaging as these ( and the photo was the same on ebay but the ones that arrived but are more rounded at the ends ( I was looking for flatter) In fact the whole bowl is more curved. It works quite well but I can't see it lasting long as the scoop is only attached to the handle at one ( weak) mid point. The whole thing feels quite flimsy. :(
Last edited by matspud on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Euri
I LOVE the Jack-o-Ripper scoop from Michaels! I just LOVE it!! It works out very well in conjunction with the pumpkin gutter and then a PM scraper to smooth the inside walls. I never got the Monster scoop because I was put off by the pointed end. the rounded, serrated edge is perfect for the areas (the bottom) that the pumpkin gutter doesn't quite reach. Last year when they went on clearance I picked up three. :D

Matspud, I'll be happy to check around and see if I can find one for you! I think this tool's a must!
By Raven
I bought one of these last year and used it for the first time this year. I love it! I use it for everything, scraping, scooping and thinning. Works great.
By CanadianCarver
I too bought one of these last year. I use it for the initial scrape of the guts and seeds. I then use the pumpkin gutter to thin and smooth out the walls.