Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By GUS
As I cannot leave pumpkin lights alone & keep a good stock of Howler lights to hand in the uk...

I received today via a purchase on ebay a COPY of the howler multi-coloured light.
RIP OFF more like..
It was £2.99 + £1.50 p+p ...& is found wanting compared to Howler quality..

Known as the "color changing pumpkin light" from a company called Amscan (partywares)
Comes in the familiar howler size & look (including halloween print around the outer ring) orange main body.

1. the light lense was really scratched.

2. has a bubble pattern diffuser on the inside of the protective lens.

3. flashes & phases REALLY fast in an almost strobe type motion in a combination of colours not dissimilar to the howler.

4. screw missing allowing moisture ingreession & possibly fritzing electronics..

5. crappy little on / off plastic switch on the base of the light, again allowing moisture ingression / acidic pumpkin to fritz electronics possibly.

6. crappy little on / off switch so ill placed you have to physically turn it over to turn it on, unlike the side access of the howler.

7. NO adapter point for mains supply (unlike howler)

8. it's just like stuffing fairy lights in a pumpkin, ...yes it flashes mainly but it's so fast that it does not hold your eye to the pattern.

9. no colour hold option, no slow phase, no fast phase, simply REALLY fast strobe ..blink & you'll miss it kinda thing!

Overall ...Howler light is king, long live the king!
whilst the el-cheapo is it's 3rd world cousin.

rated 3/10 overall
By GUS
Heres an update having spoken to Howler brand with regards to the Amscan unit..

Having phoned the Howler office the voice at the other end told me that Amscan had ripped off the original howler light last year (maybe several times) before coming back to Howler brand licensing.

If this is the case you can be sure that if Amscan sought a cheaper produced unit corners would have been cut in terms of Q.A. & components in general (eg lumens output of the led's)
Unfortunately it's hard to tell (or I didn't ask enough questions) which is produced by whom & at what time.

So If you didn't get the gist first time round with the Amscans poor review, leave iAmscan on the shelf & by the proven HOWLER LIGHT instead.