Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By hkzombie
Got mine on Amazon and I got it within a week of ordering it. I chose ground shipping. I do have a bunch from last year but since I still don't know how many Im carving this year, I know its better to 'over prepare' than 'under prepare'
By vibhandaka
I am swearing off the transfer paper for good! I botched my 2nd carve last night because of difficulties/errors in transferring. Maybe I'm just not detail oriented enough. I'm sticking to sticker paper....pun intended! :D
By christie
So I thought I hit the jackpot when I finally found the paper at an art shop. Of course they had every colour BUT blue. :x Has anyone had luck with the white (or maybe the graphite)?
By badgers
vibhandaka wrote:I am swearing off the transfer paper for good! I botched my 2nd carve last night because of difficulties/errors in transferring. Maybe I'm just not detail oriented enough. I'm sticking to sticker paper....pun intended! :D
Have you tried the Elmer's Washable School Glue Stick "Disappearing Purple"? That's what I normally use on the foamies that I carve. Cut out the pattern, rub the back of it with glue stick, place the pattern on the pumpkin and make any adjustments to the pattern (like little folds) while the glue is still fresh, then smooth out the pattern down and let it dry.
I usually give it about 10 to 15 minutes before I start carving. Once done carving rinse warm water over the carved area, the left over paper peels off easily and the left over glue turns back to purple and wipes off with a wet paper towel.
I like sticker paper too but I find it's not as easy to manipulate while sticking to the pumpkin....getting it into the curves and indentations of the pumpkin.
Last edited by badgers on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
christie wrote:So I thought I hit the jackpot when I finally found the paper at an art shop. Of course they had every colour BUT blue. :x Has anyone had luck with the white (or maybe the graphite)?
Hey christie... which art shop was this? Any (inter)national chain that might be near other people too? As for the color... blue is the common choice for pumpkins only because orange and blue are opposite colors, so you get good contrast that way. But I see no reason you couldn't use any other color. White seems like it would be great too. Just avoid "pumpkin orange" colored transfer paper. ;) If you try another color, let us know how you like it.
By Raven
christie wrote:So I thought I hit the jackpot when I finally found the paper at an art shop. Of course they had every colour BUT blue. :x Has anyone had luck with the white (or maybe the graphite)?
Last year I used the graphite (black) because I couldn't find any blue. It transferred nicely but it also smudged easily all over the pumpkin if I laid my hand on it while tracing or accidentally rubbed the paper and it would not wash off. The blue doesn't seem to have that same problem.

I bought mine off Amazon this year. Just today I found some in a craft store for $16.00. It's still sitting on their shelf.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Yeah, the only type I'd be weary of is "graphite" because that sounds like it's more about the material used in the product, rather than what color it is. I've used graphite paper before on pumpkins (not Saral brand) and it did smudge on me. That's why I like the proper Saral Transfer Paper, since it seems to go on smooth and solid, without rubbing off like graphite.
By christie
K thanks guys. I might give the white a try then and let you know how it goes. I didn't want to spend the $20 if someone had said the white was a disaster and sure enough now I know to stay away from graphite. 8)
Ryan I found the paper at a store called DeSerres (I'm in Mississauga which is Toronto area). I probably could ask them to order me the blue but I think I've left it too late now and I wanted to start carving this weekend. Today I'm going to check Michaels and an art store called Curry's, for all my Canadian friends looking for this stuff.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Ah, so DeSerres is an arts and graphics chain in Canada, it seems? Good to know that they carry some Saral paper. I can refer people from your area there to get it, maybe. I'm pretty sure Michael's doesn't carry it. They do have small packs of graphite paper, which is where I got mine when I experimented with it a few years back.
By SuperSonic
Michaels I've gone to don't carry it. Just a heads up.
By christie
Thanks SuperSonic you saved me a trip. Of all the places that SHOULD have it. No luck at Curry's either so I guess DeSerres is it. And there aren't many around so good luck everyone. Just leave me a roll of the white. :P