Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
My personal pattern transferring method of choice is Saral Transfer paper...

Basically the same principle as carbon paper. You place the pattern on the pumpkin like you normally would, but with a layer of transfer paper between the pattern and pumpkin (with colored side facing toward the pumpkin).

Trace over the pattern lines with a pen or pencil, remove the pattern and transfer paper, and voila... your cutting lines are now on the pumpkin skin. Blue transfer paper is a good choice, because the color blue is the opposite of orange, so it provides the most contrast.

These transfer lines stay put pretty well, also. Rubbing gently with your hand while carving won't smudge the lines, unless the lines are wet. So just be aware of that, and you won't lose your marks. When you're done carving, you can wipe off any transfer lines that still show with a wet paper towel.

Here's a couple shots of my E.T. pumpkin in progress, so you can see how effective the transfer paper is:

Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Tkaraoke
I used Saral on my "Don Harmon" pumpkin and for the most part it worked fine but there were some parts that didn't come through at all. Maybe I wasn't holding the pen on the pattern hard enough or doing it at a direct angle. People say it's the best way to transfer patterns so I'm going to have to try it again.
Last edited by Tkaraoke on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By nosferatu
As soon as the shop stocks Saral transfer paper, I will be the first to order. I have been forced to use graphite paper which sort of worked but admittedly has saved me hours.
By Tkaraoke
My Saral worked ok but I had huge areas that didn't transfer and I was really disappointed with it. Did you have to press down extremely hard? I did use it at 3am so I might have screwed up and didn't apply enough pressure or did it at a bad angle.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Tkaraoke - Nope, I didn't press very hard at all. The lines might not transfer in the deeper groves (you'll notice the lines go missing in a few grooves on my E.T. transfer) but in those areas, you can just push a little harder to make sure you get into the crevices. Or even if you don't, it's easy to imagine where the line goes. In my experience, the transfer paper worked almost flawlessly and really saved me time and hand strain.
By Raven
I carved my first pumpkin tonight and I also used the Saral paper for the first time. Before that I was a hole puncher still. The Saral paper worked great! I had no problem transferring the design. I did not have to push very hard at all and used a ball point pen to just trace over the design. I highly recommend using Saral paper if you have not tried it before. I will never be a hole puncher again!

Thanks so much Ryan for stocking this paper in your shop!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for the feedback, Ravens... glad you had a good experience with it. I love the stuff.
By paddy_babe
I'll be having a look in the art shop in town tomorrow for this, if not I'll be ordering it from the shocking shop, have heard v. good reviews on this (sucks I gotta wait for my tool so I can 'shop around' :( )
cant wait to try it out :)
By SuperSonic
me PERSONALLy prefer the hand poking (although ill admit i HAVe screwed up a few times)
By JMP919
After breaking both wrists two years ago, my wrists can't handle much poking. Just tried it last night and could not be happier This Saral paper is a life saver. It doesn't just cut time in half for me, it's even more than that. I tried last year to find it in my craft stores but I could not. I am very glad the shocking shop stocks it as I do not see myself poking holes in the future.
By SuperSonic
dont mind me im almost 19 and prefer old school methods :oops:
By paddy_babe
I can confirm to the uk minions that seral paper CANNOT be found in peterborough....
thats why I just ordered mine from the shocking shop 5mins ago!!
woot :D :D :D :D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
SuperSonic wrote:dont mind me im almost 19 and prefer old school methods :oops:
Have you tried the transfer paper? What didn't you like about it? I welcome all feedback, good or bad.
By GUS
paddy_babe wrote:I can confirm to the uk minions that seral paper CANNOT be found in peterborough....
thats why I just ordered mine from the shocking shop 5mins ago!!
woot :D :D :D :D
It's not been available here, & is unlikely to be, I would use the search topic tool before traipsing around the uk again, graphite aper is as far as it gets here.
By paddy_babe
I did search and knew the chances were slim to none, but had do it to keep the fella happy lol. I dont mind, got it ordered now :D