Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By pumpkinhead232
pumpkin fresh is the best thing out there. i use it for all my carvings at six flags. also when carve at special parties. u spray it on every day in order to work. for a longer lasting pumpkin i use gallon size.

By adam
Yes I have used it, I used it last year on all my pumpkins. It seemed to work actually pretty damn well. I was surprised. Now if I could figure out whats in it and buy it and mix it myself.

But there was virtually no mold for over a week and a half. Yes you do have to spray them every few hours. I don't mind though considering I spend a lot of time carving over 13 pumpkins usually.

I also purchased a few and poured them into a new spray bottle. It's much easier as the up and down sprayer started to hurt my hand. It kept them pretty fresh, mold and bug free.

I did notice a tiny bit of shriveling but not like it normally does without it. I also put mine in my cold garage over night as it was freezing in there.

I carve pumpkins the two days before and the day of. I just move them over night, I also leave them in the garage until I carve them because when I finally went to carve them ...they were freezing inside. Keeping them in the cold when they were carved really helped, I sprayed every 4 hours or so.

If you don't have a garage find the coldest place you can and or cover them with a blanket to avoid sun exposure. Basically just keep em cool and hydrated.
By Joey
Ok, so I still have my bottle of pumpkin fresh I bought last year, but could never get the spritzer thing to work. And I bought a new spritzer bottle this year, so my question is did the store stop selling them here just because they ran out? Or is it some horrible mutant substance that will cause my hands to melt off? I want to give it a try but just want to make sure I won't be growing a second head.

I'll also post comparison results!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I opted to not sell the Pumpkin Fresh this season because it wasn't really a big seller for me and a little tricky to ship also, being a liquid and all. But it's still available other places, including directly from www.pumpkinfresh.com

I'm told that the stuff is good for years, so if you have some left over from last year, it should still be effective in fending off mold.

It's advertised as being non-toxic, so you should be totally safe. I wouldn't drink a whole bottle, but maybe a sip.... NO, no don't drink it at all. But you won't damage your skin with it. :wink:
By SuperSonic
does this stuff REALLY work ( the reason i ask is because its an as-seen-on-tv product)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I've used it, and it seems to work as advertised. But keep in mind, its main purpose is to fight growth of mold. It won't do much to hold in the moisture and keep your design. Since I care most about showing a design that looks right (and not all shriveled up) I usually just go with Vaseline on the cut edges, to seal in the moisture. If a little mold grows, that's okay... it just adds to the "zombie" look. :wink:

For a comparison of pumpkin preservation methods, check out this site.
By SuperSonic
so im not gonna be carving my pumpkins untill like 7 days from halloween.. got it :lol:
By Dr. Frybrain
Our Dr. Frybrain's Pumpkin Anti-aging Spray does the EXACT same thing as Pumpkin Fresh, but we give you EIGHT times the amount for the same price.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sounds good Frybrain, but this topic thread is for personal reviews of the Pumpkin Fresh product specifically. So if you've used the product in the title of the topic, feel free to tell us about your experience with it.
By Dr. Frybrain
zombiepumpkins wrote:So if you've used the product in the title of the topic, feel free to tell us about your experience with it.
Sure, I'd be happy to.

Pumpkin Fresh is a topical fungicide, and have used it myself, before developing our own product. Pumpkin Fresh does an excellent job of retarding the growth of mold on the cut surfaces of the pumpkin.

It costs $1.25 per ounce.