Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Pumpkin King
I bought one three years ago and it works very well for scraping the sidewalls and removing all the guts from the inside. I saw them here for about $6 at Michaels. Much better than the Pumpkin Masters scraper.

By Tkaraoke
The serrated edges of the scoop look wicked and looked as if it would really do some scraping. Last year, I used a flat ice cream scoop to remove the guts and scrape the inner wall of the pumpkin. It worked great for scraping but the seeds and guts had a habit of sliding off the scoop. I also love that the handle is very strong and comfortable to hold.

This year those guts have something to fear! LOL
By cyberdman
I just picked one up yesterday with a 50% off coupon at Michael's To me, this looked like the scoop I have always wished for and couldn't pass it up. Can't wait to give it a go.
By Tkaraoke
That's what I said to myself when I first saw the scoop but at the time I didn't want to part with the $9.99 they were selling it for at Spirits. After using that flat ice cream scoop, I was wishing I had picked it up.

I have all I need to start getting some pumpkin practice (saws, scoops, pumpkins) in but I'm sitting here in front of the computer instead. I need to try out a few new tools I picked up at Hobby Lobby which are wood crafting tools.
By Tkaraoke
For all who are carving real pumpkins this year...

One of my favorite tools to scoop out pumpkin seeds and tons of pulp out of the pumpkin is the Monster Scoop. I found them at Michael's the other day for $6.99 which is a pretty good price since I saw them at Spirits for slightly over $10.

By Zombie Pumpkins!
So that works well? I often look at that tool when I'm in the store, and recently tried to hold it and get a feel for it. I'm having trouble figuring out how it works.

Do you sorta scrape side to side? See, because the PM scoops are flat on the end and this has a point on the end. So it seems to me that you're supposed to use a different hand motion.

Maybe I'm over thinking it and should just buy the darn thing and give it a test drive.
By Tkaraoke
I just tilt the pumpkin and scrape along the sides to collect the seeds and pulp that collect on the bottom and sides from using the Pumpkin Gutter(tm).

Also, sometimes the strings are attached to a fleshy "bump" on the bottom of the pumpkin and I use the sharp tip edge to chip that down so the candle/lamp will rest as flat t as possible.

One huge advantage of using the Monster Scoop is that it is so big you can get most of your guts out of the pumpkin in just a few scoops.
By Pumpkin King
I used it for several years as as Tharakoke said it works great for a few pumpkins. If you have alot of pumpkins to clean in a short period of time I would suggest the pumpkin gutter.
By Tkaraoke
Yeah! Once I got the Pumpkin Gutter the scoop got demoted to a low level spoon! LOL

But I really do still enjoy that spoon!
By Angel
I used the Monster Scoop last year, and it didn't seem to save me much time over the Pumpkin Masters scoop. It could be I've used PM for so long, it was hard to get used to a new technique.
By Joey
I got the Monster scoop last year, and it's just too hard to use for me. I cut my lids a little on the small side so getting in in there at a workable angle was next to impossible. I'd just go back to my handy dandy awesome scoop that I don't think ever had a brand but was my best scooper before the pumpkin gutter.

It is fun to keep around though just for fun.
By matspud
I got this last year and wasn't impressed. I found I it very uncomfortable and couldn't get the movement I needed. I would have had to cut a much larger lid which isn't good with the size of pumpkins around here.

I did con hubby into helping last year though. This year I have a pumpkin cutter gurtesy of Zombie pumpkin's sickening store so will try that out.
By Italian Pulli
I found it at Michaels, called "Scoop It!" The Ultimate Pumpkin Gutter. It is the best gutter i have used so far. I highly recommend it.

By Zombie Pumpkins!
This tool comes out from time to time when I'm gutting pumpkins, but I'd thought I'd mention that it's one of my FAVORITE tools for gutting a watermelon. The sharp point on this Monster Scoop goes straight into all that juicy melon flesh, and allows you to spoon out big chucks of watermelon, suitable for eating (rather than turning your watermelon into pulp with a smaller scraper).
By Euri
Never thought of using this on a watermelon. Huh. Usually I spend a looong time using a melon ball scoop to take out the inside of the melon. That's probably why I don't do more melons. This would be so much better than that! :)