Get control of your plans for digital diversions from the virtual realms.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I know we have some big Alien fans and gamers here... how do we not have a topic for Alien: Isolation yet?

Alien: Isolation is an upcoming first-person survival horror stealth game. The game is set in 2137, 15 years after the events of Alien and 42 years prior to Aliens. The game follows Amanda, who is investigating the disappearance of her mother Ellen Ripley. Amanda was transferred to the space station Sevastopol to find the flight recorder of Nostromo. However, an Alien has already infested the station.

Alien: Isolation is survival horror game styled after Ridley Scott's original horror film Alien. It features only one Alien throughout its duration that cannot be killed, requiring the player to use stealth tactics in order to survive. The artificial intelligence of the Alien has been programmed to actively hunt the player by sight, sound and smell. The player can use a flashlight and a motion tracker to locate the Alien. The game features a crafting system which allows the player to create weapons and tools to defend themselves.

Might be worth pre-ordering, if you're a fan of the original movie. Creative Assembly have announced two pieces of pre-order DLC. All preorders receive a free upgrade to the Nostromo Edition, which includes the Crew Expendable mission featuring the original crew of the Nostromo.

Additionally, by ordering the Ripley Edition from selected retailers players will receive the Last Survivor mission, which features Ellen Ripley attempting to set the self-destruct system and escape aboard the Narcissus

Alien Isolation Gameplay Trailer - Origins

Alien Isolation - Gamescom Cinematic Trailer

Alien: Isolation Gameplay Hands-On Preview
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Yeah, that recent Aliens: Colonial Marines game seems to have been a big disappointment, and it's sort of unfortunate that this new game, Alien: Isolation, is coming soon after. Gamers still have a bad taste in their mouths, and the developer of Isolation (The Creative Assembly) has had to go out of their way to make it known that they had nothing to do with Colonial Marines.

It's smart to be cautiously optimistic about any game, but I'm full of hope for this one. For one thing, I really enjoy the suspense of survival horror games and the strategic gameplay of stealth games. Setting a game of this genre in the world of the first Alien movie seems like such an obvious choice, I'm amazed it hasn't been done sooner.

By now, game reviewers have had a chance to play long demos and the buzz seems to be really good. I just watched the "Alien: Isolation Gameplay Hands-On Preview" video that I linked in my previous post, and from what those guys are saying, it sounds like the game got the tone just right. I can't wait to sit in the dark of my living room and be constantly on edge. :pale:
By SuperSonic
A lot of people seemed to be disappointed in Aliens: Colonial Marines. I was happy with it. I had 0 issues. Other than continuity gaps of course. I won't go into detail.

Onto the current topic at hand, Isolation looks like an amazing game that will blow Colonial Marines out of the water. I already have my pre-order down for it. I also like how they brought Sigourney Weaver back in for the pre-order DLC/DLC that you get with the game. The trailers have me scared already!!

Do we know the retailers that have the Ripley edition? Also do we know how we get the pre-order DLC if we pre-ordered it back in May like I did :D
Last edited by SuperSonic on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By zombombie
Well... I've gone ahead and pre-ordered this on the PS4 so I can get the Ripley Edition. It has been getting some excellent review scores

Empire: 5/5
Escapist: 4.5/5
Destructoid: 8.5/10
Eurogamer: 8/10
Videogamer.com: 9/10

And reading some of these reviews has me very interested indeed!! I really wasn't sure about this one, but it looks like it's knocked it out of the park as far as living up to Alien goes. and that's only a good thing as far as I'm concerned!

I should mention that IGN UK gave it 5.9/10 but that seems to be because they found it too hard... :lol:

EDIT: Cancelled my pre-order. I'm off to London this weekend, might find something more fun to spend the money on :P
Last edited by zombombie on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By S.A.M
After reading the reviews even the positive ones mention how you'll die a lot and dying so often can be very frustrating, I don't like games like that so I'm going to give it a miss for now but for those in the UK who fancy it, The Game Collection have it available for £34.95 on PS4 and Xbox One http://www.thegamecollection.net/alien- ... n-ps4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; last gen versions on PS3 & 360 are available for £27.75 bargain prices and a great site I've used many times, usually games arrive a day before release too :D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
During the hectic month of October, I don't have time to think and I'm always in danger of impulse buys. So zombombie, thanks for helping me spend money. :lol: Your comments put the idea in my head, and I also pre-ordered to get the bonus stuff included. From what I hear, the extra missions with the movie cast will become available to all eventually, probably as paid DLC down the road. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to get access to it with the game purchase.

S.A.M, that constant dying aspect did give me pause. I've played some games where I kept dying, and I found it frustrating to have to keep repeating areas, and wait to respawn after each failure. Mirror's Edge comes to mind. I think I'm likely to get annoyed when I'm tasked with something repetitious and involving memorizing moves. But if the mechanic involves some stealth and strategy (as I hope is the case with Alien: Isolation) I may have more patience for the difficulty. I tend to be a slow, tactical player. I don't think I'll mind waiting in the vents for my moment to make a break for it.

We'll see. I like stealth and survival horror. I'm not a huge sci-fi guy so I might not have bought this game if it was just some generic new property. But I think that the fact that it's Alien (and specifically in the spirit of the first movie) will help me enjoy it more. Just to be in that world should be a treat. Here's hoping. We'll find out in November when I may actually have time to play.
By Ajax
I'll wait for a price drop my go to sites gamespot and ign gave it below average reviews. Shadow of mordor will probably be getting my money.
By SuperSonic
zombombie wrote:I really think you're going to enjoy Alien: Isolation ZP! :thumbsup:
Going to take a crack at it tomorrow night. Had no time today due to work :(
cyberpunkjacket liked this