Get control of your plans for digital diversions from the virtual realms.
By nosferatu
Our neighbour's son went off to University at the weekend (ah the memories) he hasn't taken any of his gaming equipment.....yet. His dad knocked on my front door last night and asked if I could come out and play.

GTA V had been delivered to their house on Saturday ( three days before the official launch) but they were away taking their son to uni. I went round at 8pm and came home at 3 am. It's a good job that I am shockingly bad at most games otherwise I would be addicted to this. Not having a console helps! The really bizarre thing was that I was almost transported back in time. All the gear is in his sons bedroom and he also collects vinyl records. It was like being a teenager again without the spots and social awkwardness.....well, without the spots anyway. At one stage his wife came in and told us to turn the music down as she was trying to get to sleep. " Okay mum!" Was the reply.

The best thing is that it had been delivered early, before the midnight launch. He phoned his son at about 10pm and told him that not only was he drinking his beer but playing GTA V.

I'm not really a games person but if I was........
By nosferatu
I've paid for it today. I'm knackered! And it's only 6 o clock!

Enjoy the pizza and the game!
By Ajax
Once I get some free time i'm going to spend some of it on that game looks great 10/10 everywhere. I didn't really care for the last one lots of environments but you can't go in anything just found it kind of shallow after 5-10 hrs. This one looks amazing though. to bad I just picked up metro last light and the new bioshock for $15 a piece.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
nosferatu, that's pretty great that you could go back in time and feel like a teenager again. Hopefully your experience didn't come with a breakout of acne.

The only GTA game I've played is the last one, part IV. And I played it thoroughly and through to the end. I enjoyed it, but at times got a little weary with it. I think part of the problem is that I don't exactly relate to the urban gansta lifestyle. Not that I'm a prude. I've watched some pretty foul horror movies in my day. But I can only steamroll over so many grandmothers and murder so many prostitutes before I start feel a little... icky.

Overall, I'd rather play a character with a bit more of a fantasy angle. Or some exaggerated historical archetype, like a pirate or cowboy. That reminds me, I did really enjoy Rockstar's other fairly recent open world mission game, Red Dead Redemption. Maybe I'm more of a western outlaw at heart, than a drug dealing thug.

So I wasn't sure if I would be in a rush to play GTA V, but... lately I've been hearing so many good things, I don't know if I can resist getting sucked into the world of vehicular mayhem. I hear you can switch between a few characters, with stories that intertwine. And I'm told the stories are very engaging (at least for the main plot, maybe not some of the more tedious side missions). So I'm curious to experience this narrative.

I have to be careful about when I embark on a game like this. I know the format can be a big time suck, causing me to lose days at a time. I've been known to drag out these games for quite a while. I think it took me over a year to beat GTA4 and Red Dead... I ended up taking a big hiatus in the middle. But they are good games to come back to, when you want to kill some time (and rival mobsters) for a few hours.
By sloaner
I had to wait in line for 40 min to get the game. But its really fun. Only played it for a few hours so haven't done much, really need to work on my driving skills (in real life as well).
By monstermash
I spent most of yesterday playing it and im off for more in a minute. My brother and I have played each GTA game scince the PS1 I think it was, GTA London and the like.Yes we were young at the time but weve not been turned into complete maniacs :lol: by playing them although I don't think that would be the case for every child. I love all the details and the subtle humour thats hidden in the game. My only slight negative so far is, and i'm by no means a prude, but the swearing is wearing a little thin for me during the missions. Especially in the case of Franklin, F this and N that, it was just too much and started getting on my nerves. Oh and the other small thing is im not keen on the choice of haircuts available! I am enjoying it though and can't wait to see what the multiplayer option is like.
By nosferatu
I agree on the swearing and the slightly misogynist overtones which some impressionable minds might think is cool particularly as these are reinforced on TV, movies and in society in general at the mo.

Having said that, Video game violence and swearing has never influenced my behaviour. Case in point, this morning whilst carrying out an armed robbery on a jewellery store, I was very careful to remember my manners, please and thank yous. Likewise, whilst making my getaway, I did apologise to all those policemen I shot and I was very careful to take the registration numbers of the thirty or so cars that I rammed off the road so that they can exchange insurance details with the cars real owners.
By Ajax
nosferatu wrote:I agree on the swearing and the slightly misogynist overtones which some impressionable minds might think is cool particularly as these are reinforced on TV, movies and in society in general at the mo.

Having said that, Video game violence and swearing has never influenced my behaviour. Case in point, this morning whilst carrying out an armed robbery on a jewellery store, I was very careful to remember my manners, please and thank yous. Likewise, whilst making my getaway, I did apologise to all those policemen I shot and I was very careful to take the registration numbers of the thirty or so cars that I rammed off the road so that they can exchange insurance details with the cars real owners.
I just hope you were nice to the prostitutes.
By nosferatu
As their pimp, I'm always nice to them. Flowers, chocolates, perfume. After all, Mum and my sister deserve treats, they work hard all day but not as hard as Grandma!
By Ajax
nosferatu wrote:As their pimp, I'm always nice to them. Flowers, chocolates, perfume. After all, Mum and my sister deserve treats, they work hard all day but not as hard as Grandma!
:lol: didn't see that one coming.