Anthems or ambiance, these are the tones that rattle your bones.
By nosferatu
This Monday at 4pm, Scream Queens.

'It is women who love horror,' said the screen's first Dracula, Bela Lugosi. Since the horror genre began eighty years ago, the female role has changed; the passive victims of the classic monsters of the past have become resourceful heroines competing on equal terms with their male co-stars, both human and inhuman.

In this revealing documentary, part of BBC Radio 4's gothic season, Reece Shearsmith meets a coven of female horror stars and charts the development and changing roles in the genre; from the femmes fatales of Dracula's Daughter, through Hitchcock's leading ladies, to Hammer's lesbian vampires of the 1970s and the present-day action heroines such as Buffy the Vampire-Slayer.

Shearsmith reflects on the history and roles of women in horror films such as Psycho, The Innocents and Rosemary's Baby, with archive of Deborah Kerr, Ingrid Pitt and Barbara Steele.

Shearsmith believes that women are making a greater impact in the horror genre but is it still a man's world?

Contributors include screen legends Barbara Shelley and Madeline Smith, along with television's 'Woman in Black' Pauline Moran. Shearsmith also meets Linda Hayden who stars in one of his favourite horror films 'Blood on Satan's Claw'; and we also hear from Jane Merrow who went from appearing in horror movies to producing them.
By monstermash
Thanks Nos, good shout. I love Reece Shearsmith and those horrors listed so it sounds right up my street. My dark and foggy street that is.
By monstermash
Listening to it now! :D

I think it would have been a good tv mini-series like the Mark Gatis one from last year, or was it the year before? A history of Scream Queens or something.
By nosferatu
I'm waiting to listen to it later when it's a bit darker. Comfy chair, winter Pimms and afterwards going to watch one of the films it mentions.
By zombombie
nosferatu wrote:I'm waiting to listen to it later when it's a bit darker. Comfy chair, winter Pimms and afterwards going to watch one of the films it mentions.
Sounds like a bloody lovely night right there Nos! I on the other hand am thinking of walking to Asda to then struggle back up the road with pumpkins... Stupid lack of car.
By nosferatu
The first 4 of mine were from Tesco and I carried them home. If you have a backpack take that, you'll be able to get 4 in that then carry some more.

Like SAM said, I'm waiting for them to replenish then I will get a few more. 2 for £2 is exceptional value. I am going to carve the one I dropped - yeah, dropped! - tomorrow with the latest VIP.
By monstermash
nosferatu wrote:I'm waiting to listen to it later when it's a bit darker. Comfy chair, winter Pimms and afterwards going to watch one of the films it mentions.
May I join you for that Winter Pimms sir? Ive just made myself one. Fruits added are Brambles, raspberries and tangerine for an autumnal feel ( My raspberry plants seem to fruit twice a year, October raspberries are huge!). And Rosemary's Baby I think, will be the film of choice to go along with my poison.
By nosferatu
You may certainly join me in choice of drink, only if I can partake of your choice of film. Excellent selection if I may say so. I am digging it out whilst typing. Who said men can't multi task?

My Pimms is struggling a bit on the fruit front. Apple, orange. No raspberries I'm afraid but a tote of cinnamon. You even photograph your drinks beautifully.

Have you seen that the Pimms website sells Winter Pimms teapots? Think they are made of glass and look terribly refined. I might buy one although my first love will always be their deckchairs.
By monstermash
Oh that is a nice teapot. I bet the Pimms looks gorgeous swirling about in there next to a roaring fire and a bowl of wintery snacks. Bring on the snow and ice!!
Ive never actually tried it warm. Even when it's bitterly cold outside I still love a nice frosty class. I only really like drinking pimms but im not at all keen on it with cucumber and mint. My favourite mix is a good handfull of strawberries and slices of lime. It works perfectly.
By nosferatu
Yep, I don't like it warm either. Same with mulled wine. Cucumber adds nothing to Pimms but I do like mint. Never, ever tried lime. I'll give that a go.
By zombombie
Pimms with cucumber, strawberry and lime. Only had it once (may have got steamboats...) but I enjoyed it! Winter Pimms sounds great!

I'm liking Honey Jack Daniels on the rocks, that's a lovely autumnal drink!

I usually don't like my drinks warm, but I had some warm mulled cider last year (served in a teapot no less) and it was lovely!