Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Joey
I've done it before, with some fairly large complcated designs. The problem I found with it was the amount of time it took to carve, as I tend to be on the 4-6 hour mark with my kind of carvings. Two designs doubles that, so by the end I was sick of the dang thing and the quality on the second design suffered a small bit. It turned out well enough, though. As long as you keep them at right angles to each other, like you said, it should turn out fine.
By badgers
It should work out fine. I've done it with a large pumpkin that I usually get every year and do the carvings either side by side, or one on the front and the other on the back side. That way they see one carving when they come up on the porch and a differnt one when they turn to leave (that got a lot of "oh cool look at that" from some of the kids --- and their parents as well).
oh, by large pumpkin I mean they were a good 20 plus pounds.
last years Corpse bride/groom was a side by side.
By Kittie
4-5 hours? It didnt' take me that long. Here are the pics of the ones I did with two carvings on them.

By Joey
Mind you, ZP's designs are a lot quicker then the kind that I do for fun. I tend to make it hard for myself with different layers of shading and lots of annoying complexities. Hence 4-6 hours.
By Kittie
I have done shading also, and yeah that would take considerable longer.
By Joey
On the particular carving I did 2 on one, I had shading and wings Oh god, never carve wings. Wings and pokemon style fire will consume all your time.
By rosesrunred
Thanks for the tips. I did Myers and Frankenstein. It came out great. I didnt want them to show together but to have the Myers visible when you see walk by or if I wanted to change the design on view. I have a 14 pound pumpkin and it came out so good.
By 2manyferrets
As for 2 shaded patterns on a pumpkin I have done a few and they came out pretty good. It did take a little bit longer, but it was the same as doing 2 pumpkins. Heres mine...

And the Buffalo Bills/sabres

Erika