Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Coley
i froze a pumpkin a couple of years ago, but it didnt thaw very well.
It just ended up in a mulchy mess. This is the only time i have tried it, and would interested to hear if anyone has done this with positive results.
By Liderc
So since I read the above post, I've taken my pumpkins out of the freezer=P got me all scared now.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Pumpkins are 90% water, I believe. And water expands when you freeze it. I'm no expert in fruit biology, but I'm picturing the cells of the pumpkin bursting when they freeze, which could change the texture of the flesh once you thaw it. Just a guess. I've never tried freezing a pumpkin. Refrigeration though... that's been tested and recommended.
By Liderc
Yeah I may have destroyed my pumpkins=P waiting for them to thaw=x , they seem okay though, got my fingers crossed.
By Liderc
End result, one squishy pumpkin, 3 fine pumpkins, and bought 3 more today incase the others turn mushy which I doubt they will. Note to everyone, Refridgerating pumpins Fine, Freezing pumpkins BAD!
By haloween enthusiast
10 days ahed... not smart and personally i wodl not have used the freezer i woudl jkeep them outside wehre it is farly cold and int eh shade and sprayd them with water occasianyl and put petrolium jeplly on it the inside of it
By LindseySeven
I carved and put my pumpkin in the freezer 2 days ago, Im going to take it out of the freezer on halloween and put it directly outside and light it, hopefully it wont turn to mush, i'll keep you posted!

I thought it was a good idea to freeze it.. :roll:
By Kittie
It won't last to long once it thaws. if you wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge it would have done way better!

For future reference, just remember to treat it like food. Wrapped and covered in the fridge the Pumpkin will last a while, and to help stop rot and mold, try Lysol, or a Bleach and Water mix.
By LindseySeven
Thanks for your help!
I wouldnt spray lysolor bleach on my foood though! haha

Happy haunting! :)
By suzika
Unfortunately, frozen pumpkins, when thawed will turn to mush very fast. :(
By mudd
by any chance has anyone tried useing this fruit fresh stuff? im curious as to how good the stuff is.

By Kittie
I have used it on fruit we have used on deli trays and it works awesome for that.
By Ajax
Get a pumpkin gutter for next year it takes 10 min ;).
By hkzombie
Ajax wrote:Get a pumpkin gutter for next year it takes 10 min ;).
I second that motion!