Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Doh
Hello everybody!

A lot of you already know me but for those of you who don't I am the schmuck that came up with the whole glued on pattern idea years ago.

I have read where people have problems cutting through the paper, the paper lifting, and the paper getting wet.

I glue the pattern on and allow it to dry. I then cover the whole pattern with 3" clear tape...(thanks St0ney)...I then trim out the places that I will be shading with and exacto knife. This removes tha paper so that it will not bind the saw or dremel bit. After shading I will trim the paper off of the cut through places. I can get very fine details with this method...in fact I dare say finer than transfer paper and certainly finer that poking.

I realize that this method "takes longer" but considering the fact that I can glue, trim , and shade pumpkins as early as mid September and have them waiting for me to gut them and do the cut through portions in Late October, it is still technically faster than anything else. Here is a picture of the assembly line in progress.

Here is a highly shaded real kin done with the glue method:

Here is a highly shaded fake kin done with the glue method:
By Tkaraoke
Doh wrote:A lot of you already know me but for those of you who don't I am the schmuck that came up with the whole glued on pattern idea years ago.
Schmuck?! Hell no!!! I use this method and love it but I'm still having some problems with the pattern lifting. I think I'm not using enough glue. I normally use one of those school glue sticks (the kind with a cap) and coat the back of the pattern with it. How much/what kind of glue do you use?
By cyberdman
Yo Doh!! Most people on this site don't do shading. So cutting out the pattern after glueing isn't necessarily a required step. Anyway, nice to see ya on the other side. :wink:
By Doh
Tkaraoke wrote:
Doh wrote:A lot of you already know me but for those of you who don't I am the schmuck that came up with the whole glued on pattern idea years ago.
Schmuck?! Hell no!!! I use this method and love it but I'm still having some problems with the pattern lifting. I think I'm not using enough glue. I normally use one of those school glue sticks (the kind with a cap) and coat the back of the pattern with it. How much/what kind of glue do you use?
I use plain old white elmers glue. I smother the pattern with it. This makes the pattern really wet and it conforms to the kin. Once dry it conforms so well that even if the pattern lifts it is still easy to follow.

Cutting out the pattern with an exacto knife also makes your saw cuts cleaner and more precise.
By Tkaraoke
Doh wrote:I use plain old white elmers glue. I smother the pattern with it. This makes the pattern really wet and it conforms to the kin. Once dry it conforms so well that even if the pattern lifts it is still easy to follow.
So you don't use the water soluble glue at all? How do you get the residue (and stray bits of the pattern) off the pumpkin?
By Doh
White elmers is water soluble. I just put a wet towel over the kins for about 15 minutes and the paper and glue will spray right off.
By Joey
I actually used this for my set of Halloween pumpkins cause I ran out of time the night before to poke through. I usually outline the parts I shade with an exacto knife, so it's actually easier to just glue the pattern on for that since I don't have to poke and then outline with the knife.
By St0ney
Patti wrote:
It took me a few tries to get used to the transfer paper but I like it now. After I trace the pattern I go over it lightly with a Sharpie pen. That way the pattern stays intact and is easy to see.
Hey Patti:

Like you I carve Lots and lots of real kins.

One experiment I want to try this year - When I can get my hands on some real pumpkins is.

I also use transfer paper on real kins ,

What I'm thinking - and will try a few different things is.
After you transfer the pattern on the kin, with transfer paper.

maybe we can spray over it with something to have the transfer last on the kin so we can Prep the kins way in advance and just carve them all on "carving Day" with the transfer still intact.

An old trick I learned in art school was to use Hair-spray on Pencil or charcoal - But not sure it would work on a Live kin. but it may.

The other option/experiment I actually did try last year and it worked, was to spray the carving with a clear coat of glaze.
I only had Glossy on hand, but a Matt finish would work better.

This was the test: I painted the lines with Black Paint.
And sprayed a glossy clear coat on the carving.
to protect the paint. this Should also work for the transfer.

Krylon puts out a a Spray called Crystal Clear.
And I will test that this year - to see if it works.

So when the real pumpkins are available in my area.
I'll test hair spray - and the crystal clear.
And I'll give them a few weeks to see if the transfer holds up.
By carvingjunkie
I like to use transfer paper for the real pumpkins. But i do this a week or more a head time. And when i get to mine to clean out and cut the pumpkins. The ink is permmanent. Hope this helps!
By SaneInsideInsanity
i tired the transfer paper last year and it took me forever i think i'll try glue this year either one im sure will be better then my hand transfers with pins lol.
thanks for the advice guys
By St0ney
The Transfer Paper Works Like a CHARM!

It really depends on the Brand of transfer paper.
Some really SUCK, But one is Really Really Good.

Saral Wax Free Transfer Paper - Is Da Bomb !
Works So Good ! (Blue works best for me).

A lot of people also get Transfer paper - and Carbon Paper mixed up.
Carbon Paper does not work well at all.

-----------------------------------------------------
The Only Issue I have with the Transfer paper is......
That After you transfer the pattern, it can rub off.
And it you get water on the kin - or pumpkin Juice it will also come off. - Last Year I carved around 200 real kins.

So the reason for my little experiment, is to try and Lock in the transfer on the kin (a protective shield) if you will.

So I can do the Transfer on many kins in advance, and Just Carve them on such and such day. Without having to worry about the transfer coming off or getting smudged .

I'll keep trying new things, until I find something that works.

But still can't get real kins yet ! :D
By monstermash
St0ney, please tell us your findings if you discover a real good technique. Ive only ever cut through the stencils on to the 'kins but that can take forever so a quicker way would be great.