Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Tkaraoke
Has anybody here have experience carving huge pumpkins? I was thinking about getting a huge one so I could put three different stencils on it and was wondering if there are any special things I should consider before embarking on such an undertaking.
By Downright Creepy
I think the biggest problem with putting multiple stencils on a big pumpkin would be them interfering with each other and competing for light. You might be able to see some of the other stencils thus not making it very effective for each individual stencils.

Just a thought! :shock:
By Tkaraoke
These are the kinds of things I need to think about before going out and getting one of those huge pumpkins.

As far as a light source, I'll probably use a road flare or kerosene soaked toilet paper trick (see extremepumpkins.com) so the abundance of light shouldn't be a problem! LOL
By Pumpkin King
I would suggest etching the large pumpkin that way you don''t have the interference of the patterns competing for light as you would with a cut out designs.
By Tkaraoke
Interesting...

I've been thinking about etching some of ZP's stencils ever since I saw a picture of someone's "Eye Of The Beholder" that was done that way. I thought it looked so freaking awesome I thought I'd give it a try. Speaking of which, seems to me it might be a faster way to carve pumpkins rather than having to carve all the way through. Probably takes just as much time or more since you have to try to get the layers even so the color isn't off in the pattern.
By Pumpkin King
If you get the Pumpkin Master Sculpt and Dye kit it gives you the two basic tools you need the v-cutter to do the etching and the raker to to make smooth any uneven areas. Somtimes the etching can be quicker if you have a lot of intricate fine details, sometimes it takes the same time as cutting through, and sometimes it may takle longer depending on your skill ability and the complexity of the design. Also I do basic shading most of the time, all etches are at same depth vs multi depth shading areas where etches depth vary to produce different shading effects.