Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Jack-O-Lantern
I recently saw some awesome pumpkins on blizzard.com the Pumpkins were like shaved down and light still came through them even though it didnt go all the way through..

any ideas how to do this form of shading or whatever you would call it?

thanks
By Mister_JP
You won't find too many people on this forum who use this technique. The Zombie Pumpkin style is the "old school" carve-through type.

A good forum to talk to people who do the shading/scraping can be found at www.pumpkinwizard.com
By Kittie
I have done shading. I used the pumpkin master tool that came with a kit I bought. Wood carving tools actually work well also.
By Jack-O-Lantern
Mister_JP wrote:You won't find too many people on this forum who use this technique. The Zombie Pumpkin style is the "old school" carve-through type.

A good forum to talk to people who do the shading/scraping can be found at www.pumpkinwizard.com
k thanks, ill check them out, I will continue to stick with this forum as well, for tips and tricks, perhaps to post a few of my Jacks..
By Joey
We're not all purists here, I'm a shader myself.

The basic idea is just to scrape off the top layer of pumpkin and leave some flesh behind for the light to go through. I find it hard to describe, it really just takes practice.

I started out using a flathead screwdriver before all these spiffy tools came out, and I still find myself using it more then the other tools, due to the amount of detail I can get with it. The PM 4 in 1 tool is decent, but I tend to use the raker edge to smooth more then the actual scraper. The best commercial one I've found comes in this kit that comes in an orange toolbox that they sell at Rite Aid. Everything else in the box is useless, but the scraper is pretty awesome when you get the hang of it. Haven't been able to track down the one scraper that came with the regular PM kit.

But yeah, it's 2:30 in the morning so I might be rambling.
By Black Mage
For a couple of years, shading was all that I would do. But then I decided that thought they look good if you really take your time, I was only able to do two or three lanterns the entire season. I think it would take an average of four hours for me to do a pattern.
By Pumpkin King
I do a mix of both cut through and shading depending if I am carving real or fake pumpkins. I like the shading technique on real pumpkins becuase they tend a last a little longer when they are etched than carved all the way through.

You can use a variety of tools for the effect. Pumpkin Masters dye and sculpt kits includes a v-cutter and also a raker. The Pumpkin Masters 4 in one tool can come in handy as well. Alot of cermic tools or wood carving tools can work as well.

Personally if Iam doing a simple etching (not multiple shading) it doesn't take any longer than it does to cut through and somtimes can actually be faster depending on the pattern complexity.
By Joey
Time is a downside. I take anywhere from 4-6 hours to make a really good shaded one, so I don't tend to make them for the big night. For the Halloween display I tend to do a lot of Zombie-styles, with maybe one or two good shaded ones.
By Jack-O-Lantern
what tools should I get for shading etc? I bought this basic PM tool set..

By vaderknightrider
Kittie wrote:I have done shading. I used the pumpkin master tool that came with a kit I bought. Wood carving tools actually work well also.
I've never tried wood carving tools, but I've tried the PM scraper tool. It didn't work well for me. But then again, I only tried sculpting once. Maybe it'll be a better experience for you, Jack-O-Lantern.
By Jack-O-Lantern
i heard to get a speedball Lino cutter.. it has a handle with all these little bits etc to use.. so i am gonna try that for the scraping
By Punk'n'Queen
Has anyone done shading on a fake pumpkin? There are only two small areas I would need to use the shading technique with the pattern I want to use ….do you think it would work? I have the Michaels type.
By amandap80
Jack-O-Lantern wrote:i heard to get a speedball Lino cutter.. it has a handle with all these little bits etc to use.. so i am gonna try that for the scraping
That is precisely what I ordered. I found them at dickblick.com.
I plan on doing ZPs, then small shaded (non-complicated) pumpkins to light my path.
By Tucker43
As a beginner, I want to do a New England Patriots logo, and think that shading would be the best bet for the outside outline. What tools do you all recommend?

Also I look forward to cutting the Danzig skull and the Lucio Fulci Zombi. Thanks for the great stencils!
By Joey
Already a few topics on this, but the short version is either a flathead screwdriver, part of the PM Three-in-One tool, or clay sculpting tools. The basic idea is to find something that will take off the top players of skin.