Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By jenjan0903
Not sure how to word what I'm thinking. My boyfriend wants to know how to get the almost see-through look on a pumpkin and what tools are used to do so? Does anyone understand what I'm trying to describe? Anything would be helpful, thanks!
By SuperSonic
Indeed, most of us do. :)

You have certainly come to the right place! Welcome to ZP!

The ideas vary, but the most common one is the Dremmel, with a diamond bit (no not a physical diamond, diamond shaped). It has little square grooves that cut through the layer of the pumpkin.

This creates the look you are looking for, no?

There is also a 4 in 1 tool by Pumpkin Masters, that can provide you with a "sculpting tool". This takes of layers of the pumpkin, also getting you this look.

The other and least used method (and is a money, not time saver), is to just carefully gouge the pumpkin and lightly peel off the layer you want. This can be done with just about any knife.

But if you're also going to cut out pieces, which looks great with partially shaved 'kins,the ZP! Pro Carving Tool should help you with both applications really.

Just be careful if you are going to use method 3, as it takes patience to do, method 2 is similar but saves a bit more time, where as 1 is most efficient.

Hope this helps!

SS
By SuperSonic
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Wood sculpting chisels and gouges? Available in most arts and crafts shops.

Or a Speedball Linoleum Cutter?

Good call, didn't think of that one. :)
By badgers
You could also use modeling clay sculpting tools found at the arts and crafts stores. I purchased a set at Michael's a few years back that has 8 tools with a different sculpting shape/tool on each end (total of 16 different shapes/tools).
The tool end are metal loops on the end of various sizes and shapes. Some are large and circular to small and squared (good for the small tight spots).
By Joey
Aside from the dremel, I also like this one specific tool that's like a clay loop but thicker. I've seen them around this year at Halloween stores in the pumpkin carving kits from a brand called amscan. It's like a pen with loops on each end.
Hello, first post here.

Last year I did my first pumpkin that required chiseling instead of just cutting holes. It's in the gallery - Harry Potter.
I'm hooked on this now.

I'm wondering if anybody else does this. When I hollowed out the inside, I scraped a lot more on the front side of the pumpkin so I wouldn't have to take as much material off the front. I still didn't get it as thin as I would like for light to shine through good, but I was afraid to take too much more off. Any tips on this?
By Joey
If it's completely shaded, you can take a bright flashlight and shine it in the pumpkin to get a good feel for how much light you're getting. If you're combining shading and cut out parts, what I usually do (since I thin out the back side before removing the cut parts) is I'll use my saw as a measuring stick and stab through parts that are going to be cut out.

I also use two different scrapers for fine thinning, a toothed one to thin it down and a flat one for the last bit.