Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By monstermash
Hmmm. Yeah, i'm not sure either. I'd need to know cost and rough kin size really.
By GUS
..If you rang him you could discuss options & size, a pallet can be wrapped, the bins they go in are massive. between 2 or 3 people a sound option i'd say.
such short supply this year i'd not dither anyway.
By matspud
Just paid a visit to sainsburys in Edinburgh - they are selling monster pumpkins for £3. not great for size but ok I suppose. Probably not really big enough to take a pattern without some re-sizing :?
By monstermash
Matspud, I just noticed that Cairnies site says pumpkins now ready to pick. Have you been to get yours yet? Lady in the shop told me the 15th...
By matspud
not yet. hope to go tomorrow :D how did you get on in Lncs? I got an ok one in sainsburys last week.
By monstermash
Did well in Lincs. Have a look at the thread I started. I'd put a link here but don't know how to :oops: . Its called MM's great pumpkin hunt.
I wanted to fit more in the car but only manage 20. One of them is already soft. Im not totally confident that i'll have any for the big day. Let me know how you get on at Cairnie, maybe there'll be some real gems in the middle of the patch that we couldn't see.
By matspud
Made the trip today and those extra couple of weeks have made a difference. They are still quite a bit smaller than previous years but I managed to get a few that were big enough for my requirements ( hopefully)
The worst thing was that most of the biggest and best ones had been "nibbled" by bugs etc - I would see a great one only to be disappointed when I checked the bottom/back :cry: All said and done I have them and jus need to worry about them making it til Halloween now :?

http://twitpic.com/6ztb40
By GUS
Gus has been told the next field is being picked between 9 & 11 am tomorrow...

Guess where Gus will be! :lol: :wink: :lol:

now which do I choose, how many do I choose, how many trips to satiate my desire for all things orangey!???

PB better hurry!
By monstermash
They're not too bad at all MS. Those soggy trenches that the kins sat in was a breeding ground for nibbling critters. They might have held up but theres no point risking it.
Gus stop rubbing it in!!!!!!!!!
By GUS
..hmm note to self, don't forget a digital camera!
By paddy_babe
Hopefully getting down there in the next couple of hours, hubby is using car to help a friend do dump-runs before a move of house.... I am chewing at the bit!!!!!!!
By GUS
Get there whilst there is still light! you need to check them over!

tell him to stuff it & hall-n-oates it'll be dark by 7pm :o