Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By IndyandMarion
Hello all. This is my first post on the forum (Short time lurker).

I've been using the stencils from ZP this month (Quite amazing btw, I do have photos if anyone is interested).

Anyway, to my question, well OK, two questions.

1. What is the best way to preserve a pumpkin until carving? The behemoth of a pumpkin we have won't be carved into until tomorrow. Should I soak it in the tub for a few hours today? Overnight? Preserving AFTER won't be a problem, we've tried a few things at it seems the bleach (or Clorox Spray) works the best. We've carved five pumpkins so far and treated two with the spray, they lasted much longer than those that weren't.

2. The "last" pumpkin we have for tomorrow is, as I stated before, a behemoth. Seriously, call the National Guard because this thing is just not right. It's not natural. It can't be. Charlie Brown, run dude.
I came up with this idea at the pumpkin patch today: Is it a good idea, can it be done, to carve two or three stencils into one pumpkin? We've the room for it (Planning on Jack Sparrow, the POTC Jolly Roger and Barbossa). Could the pumpkin support it? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
By Dadja
Has the big one been gutted yet? If not, just leave it in a cool (not cold!) dry place

There are patterns that are carved all way around the pumpkins, so it should be able to support it. If your not sure, shade it, that way it 'll keep its strength

Welcome btw :)
By IndyandMarion
No, we have that monster locked up in the bathroom on the counter for now. I started washing it to get the dirt and so on off after I posted the topic, so it soaked for a little bit. Think I'll cover it with a towel. Maybe it will calm down.

Shading it? Ha. No. I may be a slight jack of all trades, but a shader novice I am not. An apprentice would laugh at me. No, I'm a traditional tape it to the pumpkin and poke holes with a nail then connect the dots with a pen sorta guy.

Thanks for the advice and the welcome.
By punchi
I've got three pumpkins that I'm doing multiples on, and it works just fine. It might not last as long, but go for it! I'm doing the 3 true bloods on one, Woody and Buzz on another, and Mario and Bowser on another! Maximum pattern usage!!!
By badgers
Yes it can be done. I did it 2 years ago with Jack Sparrow and Barbosa on one pumpkin. It was a pretty good size pumpkin but it worked and looked pretty cool.

not the best picture, but the first one I could find.
By Chewy
I agree with the other posts. I did a PM centerpiece pattern that wrapped all the way around the pumpkin continuously a few years ago. It was basically two alternating panels that you just added/subtracted with a bit of enlarging/reduction to fit your kin. By the time I was about 3/4's done, it was starting to get a little dicey as the carved part was now facing down in my lap while i worked on the oppposite side, but it held up well enough.

Was really hoping to see Ryan's slant on this idea - nothing yet - still hoping though!
By IndyandMarion
badgers wrote:Yes it can be done. I did it 2 years ago with Jack Sparrow and Barbosa on one pumpkin. It was a pretty good size pumpkin but it worked and looked pretty cool.

not the best picture, but the first one I could find.
Hey, it's proof to me that it can be done. Too bad the other side of ours is not as smooth, I'd try putting the Black Pearl on it if I had the space.