Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By quixotic
Hello, one of my pumpkins has a soft spot, i'm wondering if it can be saved? looks like it's just started, never had this problem before, it's a shop bought one (typical!)
By Lithium_joe
If it's in a place not visible. I've cut it out and sealed with Vaseline.

Not perfect but just to try to stop the rot spreading any further.
By quixotic
I don't think it will last that long if i carve it, I started a week before last year and that was pushing it slightly. I thought about cutting the soft spot out but I don't know how deep it is, it might end up being all the way through so then i'd have to gut it, I guess it's best to do something and atleast try rather than not, i'm just not sure of the best method.
By Hottie McNaughty
It's probably not going to last very long either way so I say go out with a bang and carve that bad boy.
By punchi
Hottie McNaughty wrote:It's probably not going to last very long either way so I say go out with a bang and carve that bad boy.
I agree. Let it fulfill it's halloween destiny, better early than just rotting.
By SuperSonic
punchi wrote:
Hottie McNaughty wrote:It's probably not going to last very long either way so I say go out with a bang and carve that bad boy.
I agree. Let it fulfill it's halloween destiny, better early than just rotting.
In total agreement
By matspud
Definitely carve it. I tried cutting soft spots out last year. Wasn't worth it. JUst carve it and get pics.
By Ajax
Carve that kin :wink:
By quixotic
Thanks for the help guys, pumpkin will be meeting my craft knife very soon :D
By purple1worm
I've got a similar problem with one of mine. I found a soft spot, cut it out, tried to seal the edge wth vaseline and saran. Now the soft spot is on the edge! So I'm going to chop the top off and carve it upside down! At leats It'll still be carved! :D
By monstermash
It can be saved, don't worry. I saved about 4 of mine fromlast year. Heres what to do:
Cut out the soft bit. Then clean the area with watered down bleach. Then spray the area with spray plastic. A few coats of the plastic will seal the area and stop the air turning it soft and mouldy.
Or if you can't be bothered doing that, CARVE THE BEAST!! :lol:
By quixotic
Monstermash, how long did it last after cutting the part out?
By monstermash
If i remember correctly the rot started about a week before halloween. So after fixing it it lasted about a week after halloween, well thats when the pattern started sagging/rotting. The bit with the plastic on it was still fine.

As long as you have cleaned all the rotten, mushy pumpkin out of the part that's soft and sealed it well with plenty spray plastic, it should last as long as the rest of the kin. Well it did for me anyway.
Good luck!! :)