Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
While out and about shopping today I looked at some pumpkins thinking I would buy one to carve this weekend. Most of them are so horrendous looking that I don't think they'd last a day. I'm hoping the patch we normally go to will have better ones but, you never know.
By CombichristGirl
so far the ones Ive seen(northern Ohio) are pretty good looking actually..seem better than last year. i do know that all over they are saying because of the weather that the pumpkins were ripe faster this year may have something to do with it in other places. i might just be one of the lucky ones
By suzika
We had such a dry summer so I imagine that affected them a lot. I'm still hoping though. We'll grab a couple this weekend, I'm sure.
By GUS
I'm going to try & get out to a localised patch today / this week-end, so will take photo's ..you can laugh at our piffling kins then.
By sodajazz
I actually carved my first 'kin of the year 2 nights ago, The pumpkin was huge I even sized the pattern up, which is a first for me.

So we are off again today to get a few more. I think by the time asda get round to stocking them we'll see some pathetic excuses. :D :lol:
By CanadianCarver
Pumpkins in Ontario are great this year. I have read several articles about how the weather was perfect this year. Just the right mix of sun and rain. Sorry to hear they are not so good in you area.
By SuperSonic
I've hauled in 3 already, and they are great in size, however rain is an issue for preserving them in Ontario.
By GUS
PUMPKINS? ..4 miles down the road from me? the farmer says we may come to some arrangement after giving me some free?
what are they like you ask?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D (pant from icon clicking exertion) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

..you get my drift?
By punchi
GUS i think that was the most awesome post ever...just sayin' !
By scully
Hey for those of you near Sams Club, they have GIANT pumpkins for $9 and then we went next door to WalMart and they are selling really big ones for $5. This is insanely inexpensive compared to the pumpkin patch or regular grocery store.

I will take a picture of the ones I purchased to show the size if anyone wants to see.

scully
By punchi
The ones at my Sams didn't look that giant to me. Kroger had bigger ones for $6. Tomorrow I'm going to scout out Whole foods (3 for $13) and Fresh market (3 for $10 so I've heard). Last year Whole Foods' were pretty crappy though...we shall see...
By Pumpken
Yesterday I went to my pumpkin supplier, a farmer who plants one acre in Hooper, Utah. He has you go out in the field and then charges you for the pumpkins by the armload, I was able to hold 4 pumpkins at a time (the biggest was 33 pounds). He charges $5 per arm load, so the 29 I got cost me $40.

By Nikki
Pumpken wrote:Yesterday I went to my pumpkin supplier, a farmer who plants one acre in Hooper, Utah. He has you go out in the field and then charges you for the pumpkins by the armload, I was able to hold 4 pumpkins at a time (the biggest was 33 pounds). He charges $5 per arm load, so the 29 I got cost me $40.

$5 per armload? Why do I not have good deals like this over in California?!
By Patti
They're on the smallish side around here. Just got our supply this past weekend. That means I really need to get off the computer and start transferring patterns.