Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Pumpken
I use the big bulbs. I usually put a piece of foil under the bulb because I cover my tables with black plastic. You can use different colors for things like a red devil or green witch. And they don't blow our when it is windy. I think they are C9 bulbs. I don't know if C7 bulbs would work.
By salemblack
Hottie McNaughty wrote:I converted all my Christmas lights to LED's last year so I'm going to try this!
We did this and it worked well on the sugar pumpkins since we had dozens of them. I will see if I can find a pic of it.

Not the best pics since I was using no flash and was tired. They really lite up though.

This is a shot of some of them with the flash.
By matspud
I usually cut the top if only for ease when moving them around. Also not so easy to use the gutter if you have to sit your pumpkin on its stem to get access to the insides.
I have heard that they last longer with the stem on too but, as many of mine rot from the stem down, I can't say that would work for me.
By Nikki
I'm deffinitely a Top cutter!

I have never heard of someone actually cutting it from the bottom.. but I imagine that would almost make it easier to gut out?

But then again.. that leads to the question of how would you properly put in the candle.. I guess you would have someone lower the pumpkin on to the top?

Hahaha.. I think too much! :lol:
By hkzombie
We did this and it worked well on the sugar pumpkins since we had dozens of them. I will see if I can find a pic of it.

-looks really great! They brighten up really well, I love the display! Will you have the same one this year? or will you try something different?
By salemblack
hkzombie wrote:
salemblack wrote:
Hottie McNaughty wrote:I converted all my Christmas lights to LED's last year so I'm going to try this!

looks really great! They brighten up really well, I love the display! Will you have the same one this year? or will you try something different?
Sadly that was the last year. My brother moved and does not live in a Halloween good area. I never get kids here at my house. My wife and I are going to Salem with some friends but it does not feel the same. That last display had close to a hundred pumpkins.

The guy across the street had a display that took seven storage spaces to hold. He retired as well and sold off his stuff. We have actually had people come up to us and tell us how upset they are while we are out. The town closed the street and did a count as best they could of the people. Our last year was our best. The town averaged about 10000 people or so. My god the tubs of candy. I think we had 20 or 30 of those 50 gallon tubs full of candy. I will miss it so much.
By hkzombie
Pumpken wrote:I use the big bulbs. I usually put a piece of foil under the bulb because I cover my tables with black plastic. You can use different colors for things like a red devil or green witch. And they don't blow our when it is windy. I think they are C9 bulbs. I don't know if C7 bulbs would work.
-C9 bulbs? Considering Im doing more pumpkins this year, I will give that a try.. you sure its not C4 jk thats an explosive! :lol:
By snow2alike
The first year I carved a pumpkin (1968) I didnt like the way the flame showed thru the face of the pumpkin carving -----so I cut the BOTTOM out ---- put a big ole fat candle in a flower pot and set the pumpkin on top of the pot ---- IT GLOWED !!! This also helped with the candle blowing out on a windy night. I have been known to cut top and bottom out,

1968 ~~~ yikes ~~~ I'm probably the oldest carver here !

^^()^^
By matspud
snow2alike wrote:1968 ~~~ yikes ~~~ I'm probably the oldest carver here !

^^()^^
I was sure I had that distinction.
Thankfully there is no upper age limit to pumpkins carving. :D
By pagemaster1993
I cut from the top even though I'm carving with the Foam Pumpkins from Michaels.
By suzika
I cut one from the bottom last year and I am now I convert, as long as my husband will gut them for me (with the pumpkin gutter) I will cut from the bottom. It was so nice to light the candle, then set the pumpkin over it. I had no burnt fingers with that one.
By mudd
was it wrong of me to get the wrong idea for a split second when i first read the thread title? :o i feel dirty now. anyways, bottom is easier, you just sit the pumpkin over the candle/light bulb.
By hkzombie
mudd wrote:was it wrong of me to get the wrong idea for a split second when i first read the thread title? :o i feel dirty now. anyways, bottom is easier, you just sit the pumpkin over the candle/light bulb.
lol, im glad you caught that! I meant for the thread to catch anyone off guard. Seems like you were the first to comment about it! :lol: No worries on that one!
By hkzombie
salemblack wrote:
hkzombie wrote:
salemblack wrote: We did this and it worked well on the sugar pumpkins since we had dozens of them. I will see if I can find a pic of it.

looks really great! They brighten up really well, I love the display! Will you have the same one this year? or will you try something different?
Sadly that was the last year. My brother moved and does not live in a Halloween good area. I never get kids here at my house. My wife and I are going to Salem with some friends but it does not feel the same. That last display had close to a hundred pumpkins.

The guy across the street had a display that took seven storage spaces to hold. He retired as well and sold off his stuff. We have actually had people come up to us and tell us how upset they are while we are out. The town closed the street and did a count as best they could of the people. Our last year was our best. The town averaged about 10000 people or so. My god the tubs of candy. I think we had 20 or 30 of those 50 gallon tubs full of candy. I will miss it so much.
That sounds like an amazing Halloween! I'm so bummed that it was your last year! I seldom meet people who do those kind of things in their area or community here in CA. I think East Coast people are whole heartedly dedicated to Halloween, the history, and traditions than West Coasters (no offense to anyone from the WC...). I would love to someday visit the East Coast for Halloween. My bfs from PA and he says this holiday is celebrated on another level. Plus, the weather is consistenly warm all year round so sometimes holidays toward the end of the year don't seem authentic to me. Fall is the season of change (colorful leaves, cooler, crisp outdoor temps...), and its hard to see that when you have a lot of palm trees around here :lol:
By 2manyferrets
Pumpken wrote:I cut out the bottoms because I use a string of Christmas lights to light them. I just set the pumpkin on the light. Cleaning them is the same whether cutting the bottom or the top.

If you light with a candle, you can still cut the bottom. Just set the pumpkin over the candle, see where the smoke hits the top, then cut a chimney where the smoke hits. That way you don't have to try to reach inside to light or drop in a candle.

I do the exact same thing :)