Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
I just carved the Lightning McQueen from this site. It is Wed. afternoon (halloween is saturday). I coated it with vasleline and wrapped it in plastic wrap. Do you think it will last until halloween? I'd also like to light it each night. I did it mostly for my nephew and wanted him to have a couple of nights to look at it. But I'd also like to preserve it until halloween.

Also, since I did the vasleine treatment, can I still give it a bath? Or would the vasleine prevent the moisture from getting in? I figured I'd bath it friday.
By Ajax
It will last longer if you light it with a electric light and not a candle it should last till halloween. Using a candle tends to dry it up and shrink the pattern from my experience. Example, I made some mistakes on my Gilman that were fine until I had a candle in it for 5 hours then they dried up the face and everything I did wrong was easy to tell.
By monstermash
I think it will be ok. I carved Sweeny todd and Mrs Lovett on sunday and they're about ready to go so id imagine you could hold yours for a few more days. I didnt put any thing on it, no bath either so yours is bound to last.
By matspud
Probably be ok. Try the bath if necessary but candles are a no-no in my opinion.Try to keep it cool (not frozen) if you have room put it in the fridge.
By Hunter240x
so far so good I think. It may need a bath but it's doing decent. I have no room in the fridge for my own food let alone a pumpkin...lol My brother and his wife seem to think they own the fridge (long story).
By Hunter240x
Just to let you all know, it did last and still looks a fresh as ever. I didn't even have to give it a bath. From now on, I'm using vaseline and plastic wrap every year lol
By matspud
Congratulations. I ended up putting all of mine bar one in the bin and also tossing out the remaining couple uncarved. Got a bin full of soggy smaely pumpkin and t weighs a ton. Hope the binmen don't refuse to empty it tomorrow. Put the rest in black bags and down to the skip.

Bought 6 more yesterday and carved 4 of them with my son and his friend. Not nearly as big as the squishy ones but, since the weather has changed for the better, pumpkin-wise, these might last a couple of days.
By nosferatu
Great news and thanks for the advice as it will come in handy next year
By GUS
Went down to the shops today, no Pumpkins in Tesco's (hoping for a cheapy or two) ..no sweets, all gone.
By matspud
GUS wrote:Went down to the shops today, no Pumpkins in Tesco's (hoping for a cheapy or two) ..no sweets, all gone.
Same up here. There were a couple of things I wanted to pick up for a party next week and EVERYTHING had been cleared. Not even selling things off cheap to get rid of them. :x :x :x