Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Kittie
My mom called me this morning and said she saw something on TV about putting cinnamon on the lid of a pumpkin when you cut it to keep it from shriveling? Anyone ever tried this?

I know it will make the pumpkin smell even better when lit, but do you think that it will work with the shriveling of the lid?
By Patti
We've always put cinnamon on our lids. Can't say it ever helped stop shriveling but the yard sure does smell good when we've got them all lit.
By Cheef
I find it strange that I have never heard of this. thanks for the tip. It will make things smell good if nothing else.
By Dr. Frybrain
Kittie wrote:but do you think that it will work with the shriveling of the lid?
Absolutely not.
By Raven
If anything I think it would draw more of the moisture out. I've always done it just for the smell.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I was waiting for Dr. Frybrain to speak up, he is the resident doctor of pumpkinology. Thanks for the input doc.

I've never heard of it working to preserve either. I just assumed it was for the scent.
By Dr. Frybrain
zombiepumpkins wrote:I was waiting for Dr. Frybrain to speak up, he is the resident doctor of pumpkinology. Thanks for the input doc.
Didn't want to be too pushy at first, but now that you mention it, we have a product called Pumpkin SFX (Smell Effects) that works much better than cinnamon for making your Jack o'Lanterns smell like pumpkin pie baking!
Last edited by Dr. Frybrain on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sounds like a good idea, Frybrain. Where and how to you apply the Pumpkin SFX?
By Dr. Frybrain
Just like you do the cinnamon, on the underside of the lid.

The key is that you need to use a real candle, to generate the heat required to (unfortunately) start to cook the underside of the lid. When the essence of the pumpkin flesh is released, it mixes with the Pumpkin SFX to produce the aroma.

I don't bother using it outside, because the breeze carries away the aroma, and you don't get to enjoy it.

It is best when used indoors (like at a party). The aroma will fill a house!

Yum.
By SaneInsideInsanity
that sound elicious i will have to remember that for next year
By Sam_hain
wow I never ever thought of putting that on the lid before...great idea though I cant wait to do it next season
By purple1worm
i think i'll try that this year!! :D
By jen d.
I put a concoction of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves on my lids... if you think cinnamon alone is yummy... you're in for a treat. ;)