Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By nosferatu
Are culinary pumpkins i.e small ones carvable? Seen some today, the size would be a hinderance but wondered if all they are is a scaled down version of a normal pumpkin?
By purple1worm
Do you the really little ones? Like the minis. I've never tried to carve them. I guess if you have the tools to make really small cuts. All pumpkins are carvable aren't they?
By nosferatu
I assume so. I don't know if the thickness of the wall is thinner the smaller they are etc. I might just buy one and see how it works out and choose a pattern that doesn't have too many small cuts
By gregh3196
Im not sure if they would work either but would love to see some pics of your efforts. Just make sure you have a good microscope around
By Ajax
I could carve a potato if it was all i had so i would say there carvable.
By JMP919
Carving a potato, that sounds awesome! I gotta try that
By punchi
I think you can carve just about anything. Pie pumpkins will work I'd bet. Haven't personally done one myself, but I imagine that the walls would be thinner and softer. I did a squash of some kind 2 yrs ago (my avatar) and it's still my favorite one ever. It was so green and ugly and bumpy and the inside was super orange. It was pretty wicked. I look for them and I can never find one. It was given to me by my friend's dad and he doesn't grow them anymore.
By Joey
I tried a pie pumpkin once, and while it wasn't terrible, it didn't hold a candle to the real thing. It was just too thin. They'll do in a pinch but I wouldn't bother otherwise.
By monstermash
I dont see why you couldnt carve one, they might be a bit thicker skinned but i think it would be easy. I carved a potato last year, just triangles but it looked really cute. Hhhmm Zombie potato.com???? lol
By stormqueen29
The pie types here are MUCH thicker walled than an normal jack, so you'd really have to do some thinning, but at least the scrapings would be tasty!

Around here, the pumpkin stands do sell smaller versions of normal jacks, so they are thin walled. I always buy one or two of the little guys, I've been carving them since I was a kid, and it's a tradition for me.

Gale
By SaneInsideInsanity
great for shaded patterns hard to light
By Dr. Frybrain
I carve a dozen or so pie pumpkins and line my sidewalk.
By cuvers
I have carved several of them before the biggest pain is they are very meaty, so super thick you'll be scraping forever it takes a while to get em to the point that you can carve them. I've had some that are almost solid, very small center.
By Crystal
I've got three right now. I have done them before mostly little faces. Its fun and the seeds are super yummie!
By Kayo
this is old. but did anyone ever get to carving those sugar pumpkins (the little ones for pie)? i kinda want to use to line the walk to my door. i can get them for about $.75 at the local patch and thought it would be a fun way to do easy patterns.