Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Mister_JP
I really like the tools that come with a basic clay modeling kit.

You will get a large clay loop, which I think is by far the best tool for scraping away the insides of a pumpkin. A few small clay loops, which work great for scraping away the small remaining strings/clingons after carving a design. And a metal poker, which is sturdy and has a nice long handle for transfering the design.

There are a few other things in the kit that you won't use, but I think it's worth it for the use you'll get out of the ones you do.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Good suggestion JP. That sort of poker with a handle is just what I had in mind. I've picked up a few clay tool kits before, maybe I have some of that stuff in my toolbox already. Time to start digging it out and getting organized.
By Tkaraoke
I'm glad you brought the subject up, JP! I was actually just going to leave you a message because I know you prefer to use the big clay loop for thinning the pumpkin wall. I wanted to start doing shaded patterns this year (along with cut through) and I know thinning the wall is very important in getting the right amount of light to shine through the pumpkin. I love the pumpkin gutter but it's hard to get even results with it. Does the loop give you more control on the depthness? I've been curious about this for a long time.
By Mister_JP
I've never used the Gutter, so I can't really give an accurate comparison. But I would imagine a hand tool like that loop would give you a better 'feel' of what's happening than a power tool.
By Tkaraoke
..but my question is how do you insure that you have an even thickness? Is it just an "eyeball" kind of thing?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Tkaraoke, as far as thinning it evenly, here's what I do:

To scrape down to an inch thick, I first do a preliminary de-gutting and scraping of my pumpkin. Then I transfer the pattern onto the face of the pumpkin.

Once that is done, I know where my design will be cut out, so I know exactly where to do additional thinning. I'll give the inside wall some good scraping right behind the transferred design, with the nice flat edge of the Pumpkin Masters scoop. A flat edge clay loop would work good too.

When I think I've got it thin enough, I'll stick one of the carving saws through an area of the design that I know will be a cut out hole (you don't want these depth test holes to show in your final design, of course).

Push the saw through until you see or feel it come through the inside. Pinch the saw on the outside, right against the surface of the pumpkin, and pull it out. How far did the saw go in? About an inch? Good!
By Tkaraoke
That's a very easy way to tell how far you've cut into it. I'm going to have to do that this year.
By Tkaraoke
BTW:

I did use the combination of the Pumpkin Gutter and the Clay Loop and I thought they worked well together. I couldn't believe how much thinning power you have with just a clay loop. It really surprised me how much it could scrape out in just a few moments time.
By Tkaraoke
I balked on getting a set this year but I will have these in my arsenal of pumpkin doom next time!