Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Flak
What's the best method for attaching your patterns? I've always just pinned mine down but I often have problems with dots being slightly off and sometimes overlapping.

I've had some new ideas for this though. The expensive route would be getting some kind of projector to project the pattern onto the pumpkin.

What about wetting the paper a bit, mold it to the pumpkin, and leave it until it dries? It might be a pain to remove the pattern afterwards but I would think it'd be pretty darn accurate.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Scotch tape all around the edges of the paper has always worked for me. I cut off all the extra paper around the pattern itself, so there's less to try to wrap around the curved surface of the pumpkin.
By mesmark
I use a gernerous amount of tape a well. Folding the pattern like seems in certain areas also helps to get the pattern down smooth against the surface.

However, last year it was raining while I was carving and the paper was damp (not wet) and fit rather smoothly on the surface without tape or tearing. So, maybe you could steam your patterns. I didn't try it because I just wrote it off as a situation I'm not likely to be able to simulate.

As far as projectors I thought about that as well with those jumbo pumpkins but I think it'd be difficult with the spherical shape. You'd get enlarging around the edges. If you had a really large pumpkin that might be the only choice though. I guess you could move the projector around. :?
By pumpkinhead232
i'm a professional pumpkin carver from chicago . wen you have to carve many pumpkins in a day i tried using many techingues carbon paper ,using chalk and drawing it on i purchased a scrapbook maching that has lametor ,maginit ,and ect by placinging the pattern in the machine u turn the handle and it goes through when it comes out it a sticker u peel it off the paper and slap it on the pumpkin . i'm able too carve 3 patterns an hour . i use my eletric pumpkin carving too to cut straight through the pattern
By Flak
ZombiePumpkins wrote:Scotch tape all around the edges of the paper has always worked for me. I cut off all the extra paper around the pattern itself, so there's less to try to wrap around the curved surface of the pumpkin.
Scotch tape doesn't even stick to the pumpkin for me :?
By Kittie
Glue sticks and tape!

I also cut off all the excess paper.
By sodajazz
Scotch tape all around the edges of the paper has always worked for me. I cut off all the extra paper around the pattern itself, so there's less to try to wrap around the curved surface of the pumpkin.
thats exactly the same way i carve pumpkins....... tried carbon paper method once.............say no more :D
By Patti
I use carbon paper (not transfer paper)with good results. I trim the excess paper off the stencil and use push-pin type thumb tacks to hold it on. I can get a good dozen pumpkins with one piece of carbon paper. I try to stick the pins into large spaces that will be cut out when I carve so that the pin-holes are removed.

There is no way I could use a poker and do as many jack-o-lanterns as I do.

Patti
By kittehkat
I actually like masking tape a bit more, since it's more easily punched through, so can even go over the pattern, if need be.
By pumpkinhead232
do to i must carve at least 4 carvings an ohour i tried many different things what i use for fast carving times is no tape or trafer paper cause i tried all that i got a machince from a craft store that lmintes with a sticky side . make copy of pattern place pattern in machine and when it comes out it in sticker form .peel it off and place on pumpkin . Instead of poking holes what i use is an eletric pumpkin carver tool made by emerald innovation this tool has changable saws and is kid safe just cut through the paper and pumpkin.
By Tkaraoke
Flak wrote:What about wetting the paper a bit, mold it to the pumpkin, and leave it until it dries? It might be a pain to remove the pattern afterwards but I would think it'd be pretty darn accurate.
Last year I got one of those squirt bottles that let's you adjust the water stream to a mist and lightly wet the pattern down to the pumpkin. It worked awesome but you don't want to wet it too much becaus the pattern will tear/run.

Speaking of paper...
Do you folks just use normal printer paper and attatch that to the pumpkin or do you use a thinner grade?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I've never tried this whole concept of gluing or wetting the paper to the pumpkin surface. It just seems like a messy prospect to me. I tape the pattern to the pumpkin, and use the traditional dot-to-dot poking method of transferring (sometimes carbon/transfer paper too).

I've seen people leave the paper stencil on the pumpkin and carve right through the paper. But unless you have a very sharp tool, and a not-so-detailed design, cutting with the resistance of the paper doesn't seem like the best way to achieve clean, accurate cuts.

As for paper thickness, I suppose thinner is better than thicker. But just about any standard printing/typing paper should do the trick. I just use whatever paper is in my printer (20lb at the moment).
By cyberdman
I tried the glue method last year for the first time and I have never looked back since. It rocks and isn't all that messy at all. You just have to make sure to use water-soluable "washable" kids glue. I get the sink water warm and then use the sprayer from my kitchen sink to just get it fairly damp and what is left of my pattern just peels right off. This method is the bomb on Michael's brand foam pumpkins. It is a little more tricky with the Fun-kins brand, but definately still do-able. I glue them all the night before I am going to carve them, then the next day I let it rip. I wouldn't do it any other way.
By Drayco
cyberdman wrote:I tried the glue method last year for the first time and I have never looked back since. It rocks and isn't all that messy at all. I glue them all the night before I am going to carve them, then the next day I let it rip. I wouldn't do it any other way.
I'm with you on that Cyberdman! I carved the Buffy pattern on a Michael's pumpkin for my niece that way. Since then I've carved four other pumpkins with the glue method (Elmers washable school glue) and plan on doing this years pumpkins that way. Like you said it works great on the Michael's pumpkin, I haven't tried a Fun-kins yet but take your word that it works, and the person who told me about it even uses the method on real pumpkins.
ZombiePumpkins wrote:I've seen people leave the paper stencil on the pumpkin and carve right through the paper. But unless you have a very sharp tool, and a not-so-detailed design, cutting with the resistance of the paper doesn't seem like the best way to achieve clean, accurate cuts.
With the utmost respect Patch Master I think you can carve detailed patterns and still achieve clean, accurate cuts. Shown below is a pumpkin I carved for a friend that I don't think I would have been able to do without great difficulty using the dot-to-dot poking method, scotch tape, or carbon paper which I found to be a little messy for my taste.

It's easier to follow the lines on the pattern and the resistance of the paper is minimal. Of course the Patch Masters trained eyes will see this home made pattern still needs work but I think it turned out decent.
By Angel
I've never had problems using plain 'ol masking tape. I usually make a lot of folds in the paper to smooth the pattern prior to taping.