Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By SuperSonic
not to sound like a total idiot but how do you do scrape aways ive always wanted to try it but i dont even know where to start :(
By sodajazz
You just scrape away the orange fleshy bit of the pumpkin St0ney has a step by step tutorial so you can see the whole process :D

Might make more sense for you to see rather than explain it :D
By SuperSonic
seems like too much work for me lol :P
By Tkaraoke
Depending on the pattern it's not really all that time consuming and the outcome is stunning. I did my first "scraped" pumpkins last year and they were a hit.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Scraping is great (well, an absolute requirement, actually) for the multi-tone shaded style of carving. But it's not necessary for my style of patterns, which can be cut-through to let out the brightest light possible.

So while taking more effort and being less bright, there are a couple benefits to scraping away the design with one of my patterns. They look good in daylight and they last a bit longer before shriveling up.

I'll occasionally do some selective scraping though, to add depth or lighting effects to certain parts of a design. For example, I scraped E.T.'s hand, but cut out his finger to make it look brighter. I also scraped the Bald Eagle's beak on a watermelon last year, to give it a different tone that the rest of the bird's head. See examples below:

By Tkaraoke
I don't know how you get your lines so clean on your carvings. You must have a surgeon's hand! LOL
By Tkaraoke
buhdewsy wrote:I have a surgeon's hand, I keep it in a jar above my desk :wink:
*bonk*

ROFLMAO!! :lol: