Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
I have been using a little one bulb light set that dollar tree has been selling for $1 the last several years. I think it uses between a 3 to 5 watt bulb that burns constant and has like a 4 foot cord and on off switch. It does well both on carved and etched pumpkins. The bulb does not have a base on it but a small piece of wood or tape will hold it in place.
By HALLOWEEN QUEEN
Although I will agree that nothing beats a candle for effect...when you carve 200 pumpkins and want to light them up every night for a week...candles are just not realistic. We use the old school outdoor x-mas lights. The ones with the really big bulbs. You just cut a small hole in the back, bottom, or stick it through the top depending on how your pumpkin sits in relation to the next one. For the really big pumpkins, you jcan put in 2 lights. If you have a spot where there is a big space and the next light won't reach to the next pumpkin...you just put a burned out bulb in that space. It also makes it kinda fun because you can make tigger orange, shrek green...etc.
By Tkaraoke
That is so strange! I was going to suggest this idea about a month ago (Christmas lights) but I thought that people would have considered it weird. It's nice to know that there are people out there as sneaky as me! LOL

Welcome to the forums!
By HALLOWEEN QUEEN
:D Thanks!

I do have a funny story about that . My brother carved for one year at his house. Every night he would find that the wires between lights had beeen "cut" and bulbs were missing. He even called the police to make a complaint about "kids" messing with his lights. It turns out, that his neighbors were finding bulbs buried in their yard!!! Because the wires and bulbs were covered in pumpkin...the squirrels were biting them off and burying them like nuts!!!! I thankfully did not have that problem last year...my mom never had that problem in all the years she did it either. :lol:
By Tkaraoke
Now that *is* funny!
:lol:

Seems that every year there are more and more Halloween items out there. I saw a light set (kind of like the Christmas lights you were talking about) but they were orange and purple.
By Tkaraoke
Hey guys!

I was going to start a new thread but I thought I'd bring this one back to life in case someone needed some ideas for lighting a pumpkin...

I was thinking about using a light stick to light some of my pumpkins. Has anybody had any experience with this? I bought some from WALMART last year (but wasn't to light a pumpkin) and I put one of them in for craps and giggles and it was pretty weak. While looking on eBay, I found something called "Military Grade" light sticks. Has anybody ever used these? Are they brighter than normal light sticks?
By Patti
We carved a few pumpkins for a demonstration this weekend and I got a chance to re-evaluate candle life.

It was relatively still as far as the wind goes and we lit the pumpkins last night around 7 and they were still burning this morning when I got up at 5:30, so they do last quite a long time.

When you're putting real candles in better than 100 pumpkins you need something that'll burn a while. :roll:

They cost about a quarter each but if I can get 10-12 hours out of each one it's worth it. They tend not to blow out too easily unless you get really strong wind. And that's another issue.