Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Tkaraoke
Drayco wrote:The Michaels in my area has a plug into the wall kit already setup to go into a pumpkin for $3.99.
Now that's what I'm talking about! LOL
I never knew something like that existed so I've been trying to come up with my own design. Those little 4 watt bulbs light up a Funkin really well.
By Black Mage
I picked up one of thse Ultra-Pure Liquid Candles (1 oz.) from Wal-Mart today. The wick was a little on the short side, so I pulled it up to about 1/4 inch long and lit it. I got a pretty good flame that lasted about 3 1/2 hours before the oil ran out. NOt bad for a $1 oil candle.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Black Mage wrote:...Ultra-Pure Liquid Candles lasted about 3 1/2 hours before the oil ran out. NOt bad for a $1 oil candle.
Hmm, I was hoping those liquid candles would last longer. For only a couple bucks, you could get a bag of 100 tealights, which last 4 hours or so. That seems to be a better value.
By Black Mage
They also had a 3 oz. version too. I think it was about $1.30 or $1.50. You could probably get nine or so hours out of one of those.
By amandap80
I used the bigger PureOil lamps last year in all my pumpkins. They lasted all night, for 2 nights. (About 8 hours)
I got them at Wally World too, the $1.50 version. The definitely stayed lit much better than a candle. I constantly ran around my display re-lighting with candles. I will be using the oil lamps again!
By Pumpkingrower
Can't you see the lamps through your carving though?. I prefer the most light without seeing the device creating the light. I know from a distance or if you are not right up on top of them it doesn't matter but my display will be approachable by the public.... I guess it is carvers preference. :lol:
By Black Mage
Pumpkingrower wrote:Can't you see the lamps through your carving though?. I prefer the most light without seeing the device creating the light. I know from a distance or if you are not right up on top of them it doesn't matter but my display will be approachable by the public.... I guess it is carvers preference. :lol:
They're not big lamps, like this:

They're quite small, maybe 1.75 inches wide by 1.5 inches tall.

So they wouldn't be any more noticable than a votive candle.
By Tkaraoke
The other day I bought one of those battery powered LED pumpkin lights (that change color) for use in my Funkins from Walmart. It was only $2.88 so I said, "What the heck" and bought it. I took it home, put the batteries in and put it into one of my carved Funkins and it looked pretty good BUT something was a miss. It seemed to me that the light wasn't bright enough to really give it a "punch". A friend and I came up with the idea of putting a piece of white board inside the pumpkin to reflect all the possible light to the front of the pumpkin. Not having any white board to start with, I got just a regular piece of printer paper and taped it to light base to hold it upright. When I turned on the light, it not only made the light brighter, it gave the pattern this really weird "Japanese lantern"-kind of translucent look. I did get some white board from Hobby Lobby the other night and I'm going to cut out a section to see if that helps even more since it does have a more reflective and solid surface. It should make it less translucent but more brighter since the white board is thicker.
By Tkaraoke
Also,
The other night I came across a sheet of highly reflective "white board" that had a "mirror" finish to it. One sheet of this paper was like $4.99 and I almost got it until I noticed there were a bunch of scratches and dings in it. Now that I think back I should have bought it because now I can't find it. D'oh!
By Mister_JP
Meh, you are all just spinning yer wheels.

Ryan is right, I just bought 100 tealight candles for $3.99 at Target. That's 4¢ EACH, people. FOUR CENTS?!? You can't beat that. When one goes out, I won't tven try relighting it, I'll just toss in a new one, it's only four cents!!!

Makes me wonder how big of a ripoff all those froo-froo scented candles are if they can make a tealight for 4¢.
By Aylortay
tealights are cool but those ones that change color sound really neat :) I'll have to check those out
By Drayco
Mister_JP wrote:Meh, you are all just spinning yer wheels.

Ryan is right, I just bought 100 tealight candles for $3.99 at Target. That's 4¢ EACH, people. FOUR CENTS?!? You can't beat that. When one goes out, I won't tven try relighting it, I'll just toss in a new one, it's only four cents!!!
That may be true for use with real pumpkins and it will give it that authentic candle glow and flicker. But anyone carving an artificial pumpkins has to use something like the electric light kit I posted earlier or the color changing lights. I'd rather carve a real pumpkin but I don't have a choice for the ones I carve for my niece who lives out of state.
By Drayco
Aylortay wrote:tealights are cool but those ones that change color sound really neat :) I'll have to check those out
The color changing lights are cool but you're better off using them with cut-through patterns like the ones our Patch Master makes. I've read they aren't bright enough for the "scrape-away" patterns.

If you end up getting one try to get this years Howler model. Last years orange case light just cycled through the 7 different colors and ran off 3 AAA batteries. With this years purple case light you can lock it on the color of your choice or have it cycle through all the colors. It also gives you the choice of using 3 AAA batteries or an optional AC adapter that's not included. Even if you just use batteries they say it last up to 72 hours if run non-stop.

Hope this info helps.
Last edited by Drayco on Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Tkaraoke
Drayco wrote:If you end up getting one try to get this years Howler model. Last years orange case light just cycled through the 7 different colors and ran off 3 AAA batteries. With this years purple case light you can lock it on the color of your choice or have it cycle through all the colors.
Where do you usually buy the ones with the purple case? I like the color changing one I have but I would love to have it just stay one color with some patterns.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Tkaraoke wrote:Where do you buy the ones with the purple case? I like the color changing one I have but I would love to have it just stay one color with some patterns.
Ooh, ooh! I know. You can buy them right here, from your friend the Patch Master. :D I guess now would be a good time to fill you in on that. I started a new topic for that:

:arrow: Deluxe Rainbow/Candle Lights

If you want to keep discussing other lighting options, feel free to continue posting in this thread. But if you have any comments or questions about these LED Rainbow/Candle Pumpkin Lights, chat it up over here.