Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By johnnyboy
Hi guys,
I'm new to all this and was wondering how soon you all start?

I want to get about 6 done this year and normally I do it all on halloween :-)

How long do these things last once I butcher them?

Thanks

John
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I like my carvings to look fresh on Halloween, so I try to carve as many as I can on the day. Maybe half of what I end up doing, and the other half the day before.

As for how long they last, it really depends on a variety of factors. The quality of the pumpkin you got, your climate (temp and humidity), your methods of preserving it, etc.

I know people in hot climates that carve and instantly they dry up. I carved one yesterday and even with Vaseline, it's starting the shrivel. I assume because I have my heat on, and have had a candle going in it non-stop.

If you carve early, keep them cool if you can. Outside works, as long as no animals or vandals damage them. And cover with a towel or something if frost is a fear.

Carving any earlier, maybe saran wrap them or put in the fridge. We're getting pretty close to the big day now though, so you should be good.
By Dadja
Well for me it's always a rush on Halloween, because not only I have to carve 10-15 pumpkins, but I need to prepare my food and bar for the visitors coming at around 20.00. Even if I start @ 8.00 and the same the day before it's always a very close call.

So this year I'm planning it a bit more 'carefully'.

My newly bought pumpkin gutter will allow me to gut all my pumpkins in record speed on Wednesday. After that I'll just keep them outside where it's cool.

On Thursday I'll try to carve as many pumpkins as possible, soak them in water with bleach for an hour of two (my favourite preservation trick) and wrap them.

Hopefully this will mean that on Friday I'll have my whole day for preparing food and making cocktail preparations. At worst I'll have to carve two or three more pumpkins... We'll see how that goes on Friday
By CombichristGirl
i carved to early last year and so i think im going to do all of mine through out the day on halloween.
By Lithium_joe
I thinking I'm going to start carving on Wednesday. :twisted:
By nosferatu
I carved the Sunday roast yesterday but I'm thinking that that probably doesn't count.

I too, being a relative novice in terms of numbers, will start on Wednesday evening. Better to be a bit early, than a bit late!
By Artex76
i can always start mine early since it gets cold in the middle of the month. So I already have about 18 done from last week and they still look good no mold just have to saok them a little bit here and there. But we still end up doing a lot the night before and the day of halloween.
By SaneInsideInsanity
i'm transfer stencils now i'll be gutting wesday and the carving party thurs
By S.A.M
I'll be starting tomorrow and look to be done in time for Halloween, I'm not a very fast carver :lol:
Getting excited can't wait to get carving I just wish I had a better selection of pumpkins not much hope for the verticle patterns this year :(
By Pumpkinman
I started on 2008-10-20 this year. Since Halloween is not such a big deal here in Germany (which does indeed frustrate me !!) I do the carvings for my own plesure and for the people passing by.

But there is hope! I am already known throughout my village for my Halloween-Displays and I observe a rising numbers of "Trick or Treaters" each year :wink:
By Chewy
I started on Saturday with one (the Tooth Fairy - which is appropriate with my daughter having her first loose tooth right now...), did another four last night with the family & from this point forward will probably do one or two a night until Friday. Saturday's isnt showing any signs of decay or shriveling, but I might leave in water overnight tonight just to be sure it's still ok by the end of the week.

My goal is to have them all be ready for their own individual memorial services Saturday morning!
By Kittie
Gutted all 53 on Sunday night, started carving last night. We got 10 done, and 1 more rotted one. So we are down to 52 pumpkins. 42 left to carve before Halloween.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
You're gonna be busy, Kittie. Nice of you to make time to check in. Keep on keepin on!
By The Vlad Hatter
At the pace that I am afforded I have to start two weeks in advance just to get 4-5 done. Of those 4-5 I usually will expect 2 to make it to Halloween. I might try to pick up another one before then, but I've looked and my selection is getting pretty slim for a good shaped pumpkin.

That is why I am so interested in the foams. It would be nice to know regardless of what I can get done and keep, having a few ready is nice.
By Carving Queen
I am doing 12 this year. We decided to paint the freaking livivng room this week so I am a little behind...today I start with the gutting and scraping, I think it will take today and tomorrow to get them just right and then the real fun begins!!!

Carving for me will be on the 30th and 31st, 6 each of the 2 days.
I just need to pick the patterns that I want to do.... :?